Things I Miss About Martin

Things I Miss About Martin

Why It's One of the Happiest Towns in America

29
Things I Miss About Martin
Cadillac's Bar

I would like to begin this article by saying how much I love my hometown, St. Louis. And I’ve been to Boston, New York and New Orleans and love them all. But there is something special about little old Martin, Tennessee. I’m not sure if it’s the small town feel combined with the fact that’s it’s a college town or if it’s the odd abundance of Mexican restaurants, but something about Martin is different, special.

1. The People

The people I've met in Martin are some of the most amazing people in this whole world and have honestly changed my life. Coming home for the summer and comparing stories with friends who went to other colleges makes me even more grateful. Because yes, my friend Susie had a great freshmen year, but she didn't meet her best friend or have amazing role models, like I did.

2. Small Size

We might not be a massive city where you can walk or take public transportation anywhere, but Martin is small enough that you can drive across town in under 10 minutes. I can drive five minutes one way and be in downtown Martin, and then drive five minutes the other way and be in the middle of a soybean field.

3. Mexican Food

Okay Martin isn't a very big town. Not including Mexican food we have three main restaurants, Opera House, The Hearth, and the new steak place, Damron's BBQ. But then we have three, Three Mexican restaurants, what's up with that? Why are half of our eateries Mexican?

4. Sunsets

I think this might just be a Tennessee thing in general... But the sky is just prettier in Martin, Tennessee

So as I'm sitting here in fun and exciting St. Louis I find myself missing Martin. I of course miss all of my friends and peers, but most of all I miss the feel. I can't explain it, there aren't words, but there is a feeling you have when you're in Martin that just makes you happy. I guess that's why it's one of the happiest towns in America.