19 Things I've Learned In My 19 Years

19 Things I've Learned In My 19 Years

It's not very long, but it feels like a lifetime.

20
19 Things I've Learned In My 19 Years
Barbara Oxford

March 5, 1997, the day I was born. It is very hard for me to believe that I am a freshman in college, working for the best company in the world, and that I am 19 years old. I thought since I did JUST turn 19 I'd leave you lovely readers with some things I have learned in my short 19 years!

1. Life goes by really fast.

I remember thinking, like two seconds ago, how great it would be to be a freshman in college. Here I am. Life goes by so fast. It feels like just yesterday I was playing with stuffed animals, and reading "Junie B. Jones." When did life speed up? When did I become this person? It sounds so cliché but cherish every moment you can; you'll be old before you know it!

2. Your friends change too.

We all look around at our middle school and high school friends and just feel it in our hearts that we'll be best friends forever. However, it just so happens that our friends change too. People you thought you'd have forever, don't stay. People who you thought would tire of you quickly stick around for the long haul.

3. You don't have to agree with your family about everything.

WHAT? I know! This is such a crazy concept, especially for me. Growing up, I never thought I'd have differing opinions than my parents or other family members. It just so happens that I do, and it is GREAT. It is OK to disagree with people. It is OK to feel differently than those around you. Sometimes it leads to really great conversations. If everyone agreed on everything, we'd be living in a pretty boring place. It's important to remember that just because someone has a different opinion than you, it doesn't mean they're wrong!

4. Falling in love is pretty cool.

It's pretty cool to look at someone and for the first time in your life think, "I'm in love with this person." You know how they always say "when you fall in love you'll know"? They're right. It's a moment of clarity. Something more clear than you've ever felt before, and it's strange. It's also really cool to know that someone is in love with you too. Sometimes it just feels like bliss. It's a really awesome thing to know that someone is there and that you can trust them. The kissing part is also super cool. (Sorry Mom.)

5. It is possible to survive heartbreak.

I know that it seems impossible. It causes actual physical pain, and it really does feel impossible. Heartbreak is so hard. The memories, the dreams, the difficult breathing, the what ifs and the tears. It all tears you apart. But take a couple weeks, let yourself mourn. Let yourself laugh and cry and be angry. Let yourself hold on and then let yourself move on. You will survive this. This too WILL pass.

6. You have to do things you don't want to.

That's just life. You have to go to school, you have to work and you have to pick up your dogs' crap. You will ALWAYS have to do things you don't want to do, you might as well get used to it now.

7. You should do things you love to do.

A lot of us get so caught up in the work, the school and the picking up dog crap, that we forget to do things that make us happy! Do things that make you happy! Life isn't meant to be miserable. In my opinion at least, it is meant to change the world or maybe even just do some crafting. Whatever it is, do something that makes YOU happy.

8. Mom is actually always right.

I don't know why it took me 19 years to learn this. Over the past year I have said, "Momma you were right," more than I would like to admit. The thing is that your mom has seen more and done more in her life than you have. She has gone through heartbreak, she has studied for exams, and she also has had best friends. She has learned from her mistakes and doesn't want you to make the same ones. LISTEN TO YOUR MOTHER!

9. You can't let boys control your feelings.

Ohhhh! I said it! Don't do it, girls! I don't care how much you like a boy, do NOT let him control your feelings. You should love and respect yourself enough to tell a boy no when you think he's playing you. Don't let a guy hurt your feelings and then go right back to him every time he gives you attention. Know when it is time to give up and stop giving him "second chances." I do realize how hard this is, 19 years later and I still struggle with it.

10. You can't rely on others to make you happy.

This is such a huge pet peeve for me. I HATE to watch girls need a guy. You don't NEED him, you want him and he is there. You have to learn to make yourself happy. The second you start relying on others to do that for you is the second you start losing pieces of yourself you'll never get back. It is heart breaking for me to watch a girl freak out every time her boyfriend hangs out with someone else, or talks to a friend. Girl, he is NOT your source of happiness. Step back and evaluate your life. If you're making him your happiness, then when your relationship ends, you lose everything. Stop it.

11. You can't expect others to change things for you.

You're not happy? Life is suckish? You hate where you live? You can't sit there and expect someone else to change things for you. You have to get your lazy butt out of bed and change it for yourself. You can't rely on others to change your life, only you can do that. If YOU are not happy then YOU change it. I had to learn this the hard way, so just take my advice.

12. Love yourself.

Just do it. It's hard, but just do it. I know a lot of people say that you have to love yourself before someone else can love you and frankly, that is just not true. However, it does make relationships a lot easier. It's really hard to be in a relationship with someone that says, "ugh I'm so ugly" or "I'm so fat" or "I really don't like the way my mouth does blah blah blah." It is hard to have to constantly reassure someone that they are perfect. Know that you are who you are. Don't change that for anyone and embrace it. Who you are is good enough. Who you are is beautiful and bold and successful and has a great future. Learn those things for yourself.

13. Basketball is the greatest sport of all time.

There is just something about it, that I haven't figure out yet, and it makes it THE best. I love it, you love it, we all love it. Especially those Texans and Texanns!

14. Always carry a book.

This is serious. I repeat, I am not joking. Don't you get tired of staring at your phone screen all day? What about when your phone dies and you have nothing to do? You could have easily carried a book with you. It doesn't have to be a large one! "Catcher and the Rye" is pretty small and a great choice! My point here is that reading is something we were blessed with. It is an amazing thing that our eyes and our brains work together to create this amazing story. Someone spent months of their lives writing a book just for you! If you say you don't like reading, you just haven't found the right book. Maybe if you carried one with you, you'd have time to read it and that would change!

15. Getting an education is priceless.

Getting an education is not actually priceless. It's actually super expensive, at least $20,000 a year, BUT that's not the point! An education is something we should cherish. There are people not only in our amazing country but countries all over the world who don't have the chance to have a high school education let alone a college one. We are so blessed that we can live on campuses and go to classes taught by the smartest people in the world. How amazing is that? So the next time you feel like complaining about college, think of how lucky you are. If you still want to complain after that then go for it. Sometimes you just have to let it out.

16. Hold your friends close, hold your family closer.

As we get older, friends move to the forefront of life and our family gets pushed aside. It's hard to realize how much they still need us and we still need them. It is SO important that we look to our family for guidance and love. That is what they are there for. Those friends may not be forever, but family will be. Also they're your blood so you're kind of stuck with them.

17. Sometimes you just have to freak out.

Sometimes, you just have to show your crazy. You're upset or you're angry or you're sad or maybe you're all three and you cannot hold it in anymore. Let it out. Holding things in is not healthy. It is scientifically proven that it can lead to anxiety and depression disorders. Let yourself cry, let yourself get upset and stop worrying about what people thing. Probably most people around you are on the verge of freaking out also. Just go with it. I promise you'll feel better.

18. Life is really really hard sometimes.

There will be days, months and even years when it feels like every time you stand up you get knocked back down. There will be mornings when getting out of bed feels like literally the hardest thing you will ever do. There will be weeks when things are too hard to handle. People die, and others live. People hurt and others don't. It is really hard. When you feel the dark cloud encircle you, know there is and always will be a light at the end of the tunnel. This will not be the time that the dark cloud stays forever. You have come out of this before and you will again. You will be okay. Dark times do not last forever. It is okay that life gets too hard to handle sometimes, and it is okay that you can't breathe long enough to handle it. It is okay that the anxiety is too much and the depression is quickly immobilizing you. You were strong enough to make it through last time, you are STRONGER enough to make it through again.

19. Life is also really really great.

Things are hard, but things are also great. When you get through the hard times stronger than ever, it is so easy to see how great life is. You are breathing, you're almost healthy and you just ate your third piece of birthday cake, I'd say things are looking pretty good! Take a minute to look around. Your family, your friends, your books, your education and you. It's all there and it's all great. Appreciate the times when life gives you a break and lets you breathe. Those are the things to hold on to when things are hard. Those are the things you're actually going to look back and remember. The hard times will pass, the great times will stay forever.