Things I've Learned from My Favorite Childhood Movies

Ohana means family.

8
Tumblr

Growing up, I loved children's movies and their simplicity. Watching classics such as The Little Mermaid, Shrek, and Finding Nemo, brought such a smile on my face and my heart. As an adult, I still have a smile on my face, but it's now for a different reason. Here are my favorite children's movies and the wonderful life lessons behind them.

1. Pocahontas.

Pocahontas has always been my favorite Disney princess movie. I appreciate it not only because of the epic song "Colors of the Wind", but also because of the excellent lesson it teaches. Pocahontas taught me that every culture is beautiful and important. We should accept one another and respect each other's differences.

2. Shrek.

Although Shrek has pretty much ruined a part of my childhood because of the black hole that is the internet, it still has quite a few genuine life lessons. Shrek taught me that everyone deserves to be happy. It also taught me that people are like onions. You have to peel back the layers to get to the core of who they are.

3. Kung Fu Panda.

This movie is something that always cheers me up when I'm having a bad day, and it also makes me a little hungry for dumplings. Kung Fu Panda taught me the important lesson to always believe in myself, even if no one else does.

4. Finding Nemo.

Finding Nemo is hands down my favorite Pixar movie of all time. Seriously, my name is Sydney. It's meant to be. Finding Nemo of course taught me to "just keep swimming." It taught me to always push myself and be determined when I'm trying to find what I'm looking for.

And finally,

5. The Little Mermaid.

Once again, another one of my favorite Disney princesses of all time. Not only did Ariel have hair and voice goals, she taught me that true love is something worth fighting for. It's something that you have to make sacrifices for sometimes, but those sacrifices are so worth it in the end.

So, if you're ever searching for the perfect answer to that unanswerable question, look no further than the old VHS tapes. You'll be pleasantly surprised what you'll discover behind those catchy tunes and colorful scenes.