Six Things I've Learned As The Perpetually Single Friend

Alone, but not lonely.

7

If there is one thing I know, it’s being single. Relatives don’t even bother asking me if there’s a special guy in my life anymore because they already know the answer, but you know what? That’s okay. I have learned a lot in my past 20 years as the single friend, and I am more than happy to share a little of this hard-earned wisdom with you all.

1. Some boys are mean.

From the outside looking in, it’s easy to spot the guys who aren’t treating your friends how they should be. The hard part is trying to figure out why these guys are so awful to the girls you care about so much. A message to the douchebags of the world: we see you.

2. There are a lot of good guys out there, though.

It’s easy to go on about how every male in the world is awful. Ask any girl in the world if a guy has ever treated them poorly, and most could go on for days. With every unsuccessful relationship I have witnessed, there have been just as many good ones. I have third-wheeled enough times to appreciate the guys who treat my friends like the amazing women they are. Thank you for giving me hope.

3. Great girl friends replace a phone full of guys any day.

Who else can you always rely on for a laugh no matter what? They will be there for you in a fraction of the time it will take him to text you back. Don’t ever take that for granted.

4. Liking yourself should always come before making sure a guy likes you.

This is hard, because we are constantly bombarded with reasons to be talking to guys or dating someone or whatever. At the end of the day, guys don’t always come with a happily ever after, so you need to make your own dreams a priority. Be the woman you aspire to be, and everything else can and will fall into place later.

5. You need to try to understand what your friends are going through, even if you think the guy is a tool.

By all means, do not encourage a bad relationship, but keep in mind that you aren’t living their life. Yes, the guy is a douche, and yes, you hate that she keeps talking to him, but it can hard to just completely drop someone out of your life. It takes time, so be patient with your friends and be ready with some cookie dough when necessary.

6. Life is too short to be upset about someone unless they are 100 percent the best thing to ever happen to you.

There is SO much more to life than finding The One, especially when you are only 20 years old. Don’t sweat the guys who treat you like you are anything less than perfect. There will probably be more guys and more heartbreak, but you need to accept that you deserve the best for yourself and no less.