5 Things I Learned From Marilyn Monroe

5 Things I Learned From Marilyn Monroe

The lessons I learned from the blonde bombshell.

1010
5 Things I Learned From Marilyn Monroe

Marilyn Monroe is one of the most iconic women to ever grace cinema history. Whether it’s from her high-profile lifestyle, her signature blonde-bombshell look or from her film career, chances are you’ve at least heard of her.

She’s the woman that we plaster on our dorm walls, whose classic red lip and sultry eye we try to mimic in our vanity mirrors, the person whose image has been symbolic of American sex appeal for decades.

But beneath it all, beneath the lipstick and eyeliner, Marilyn Monroe has provided me and generations of young women with a role model in femininity and confidence.

Out of everything that I’ve learned from Marilyn Monroe, I’ve remembered the most important five lessons she’s taught me.

1. Own Your Sexuality and Your Image

“You would think all other women kept their bodies in vaults.”-M.M.

Whether you own the similar hour-glass shape of Marilyn Monroe herself or the sleek and slim look of Cara Delevingne, embrace it and flaunt it.

Monroe wasn’t afraid to own her image. During a time when most women were rushing to cover their knees, she was the one who unashamedly display her figure.

Never be ashamed of who you are. If you’re the glitz and glam kind of gal who loves to dress up in heels and makeup or the tomboy who chooses to wear jeans and t-shirts, don’t apologize.

2. Embrace Your Harshest Critic

“What am I afraid of? Do I think I can’t act? I know I can act, but I am afraid. I am afraid and I should not be and I must not be.”-M.M.

Marilyn Monroe was terrible at letting other’s opinions get to her. But her harshest critic was none other than herself.

She had her flaws, she was demanding and sometimes irrational, she was prone to jealousy just as any other woman, and she would easily sink into her paranoid thoughts. But that’s precisely what makes Monroe appealing as a role model.

Fighting that inner, negative voice is something that we’ve all had to battle in our lifetime. On good days we can brush that tiny voice off with ease while other days it booms in our ears, consistently reminding us of our faults and short-comings.

But even with all of the negative remarks Monroe received and all the doubts she had, she never stopped pushing herself. She knew perfection was impossible, and that’s not what she was ever trying to achieve. Instead Monroe worked to become a better version of herself every day.

3. Fake It Till You Make It

“I think if other girls know how bad I was when I started they’ll be encouraged. I finally made up my mind I wanted to be an actress ~and I was not going to let my lack of confidence ruin my chances.”- M.M.

It’s obvious by now that Marilyn Monroe battled with her own self-confidence issues, but the pictures and movies she starred in hardly reflect the anxious thoughts that filled her head.

Even when you have your doubts, keep your head high and no one will know otherwise.

4. Live For Yourself, Not for Others

As of today, I have absolutely no regrets. I think I am a mature person now who can take things in stride. I’m grateful for people in my past. They helped me get to where I am, wherever that is.”-M.M.

Maybe part of the reason why Monroe received so much criticism for her lifestyle is because she lived to make herself happy instead of worrying to please those around her.

There will always be someone who is unhappy with your choices or who just outright doesn’t like you, you can bend over backwards while juggling and it still wouldn’t change their mind about you.

Something I wished I had learned earlier on in my life is to do what makes you happy because the ones who truly care will be happy for you regardless of your choices.

5. You Can Never Go Wrong With A Classic Red Lip

“Marilyn Monroe had the most beautiful mouth ever. No one has ever been able to convey so much sex appeal with just one feature. “-George Masters about M.M.

A red lip can go a long way with making a girl feel confident about herself, and once you have that confidence everyone will see you shine just as vibrant as the classic icon herself.