15 Things That 2017 Got Right

15 Things That 2017 Got Right

A refreshing outlook of 2017 to show us that there is still reason to have faith in humanity.

199
15 Things That 2017 Got Right
Brian Minear

There seems to be a recurring theme of negative and depressing news articles, featured stories and media coverage. So, for once, let’s look past the disheartening headlines that render 2017 as yet another completely terrible year and instead take a look at the milestones, accomplishments and good that can be found within this 365-day period. Through this, we can learn that individual people can spark ground-breaking change, that even the smallest victories are worth celebrating and that we are, perhaps, making some steps in the right direction. So, here are 15 things that 2017 got right.

1. Strong and empowering female roles and racially diverse casts were portrayed in the film industry.

Wonder woman got her own movie, "Beauty and the Beast" depicted two bi-racial couples, "A Wrinkle in Time" is announced to star a young black girl and "Moonlight" was given the Oscar Award for Best Picture; 2017 was a revolutionary year in film.

2. Snow leopards were taken off of the endangered list.

Snow leopards walk this world a little safer thanks to conservation projects and protected areas established for the species.

3. Child-poverty hit an all-time low.

It's always refreshing to hear that fewer children are starving in the world. According to the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, child poverty rates were at the lowest they have been in decades this past year.

4. More Afghani children (including girls) have access to education.

The USAID helped to establish an education system for Afgani children by providing textbooks, university instructors and female scholarship programs.

5. Eighty people came together to save a drowning family in Florida.

In 2017, a group of nearly 80 people created a human chain in order to save a drowning family in Florida. Incidents like these show the tremendous outcomes that can result from working together.

6. Democratic and Republican Congressmen took a road trip to Washington and behaved civilly and respectfully.

Maybe everyone can learn something from these two politicians. Despite their differing viewpoints, they spent an entire day crammed into the same car and treated each other with respect and civility.

7. Rihanna launched an all-inclusive make-up line.

Thanks to Rihanna's new beauty line, Fenty Beauty, every skin tone is rightfully represented.

8. One high school student promoted anti-bullying and inclusive agendas.

One outstanding student, frustrated with the social divide in high school cafeterias, decided to form an organization called We Dine Together, which works to create all-inclusive lunch environments so that no one has to eat alone.

9. A Muslim barbie wearing a hijab is launched, along with a range of other dolls portraying ethnic identities.

Finally, little girls and boys all over the world can find dolls that look like them and there is no longer a single race that is represented.

10. The 2014 ALS Ice Bucket Challenge actually sparked remarkable advances.

Groundbreaking research done in 2017 has led to treatments to improve brain function in patients with ALS, Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease.

11. NASA offered its research to the public for free.

NASA believes that knowledge and learning should be available to all and decided to make its research open to the public.

12. A 22-year-old man from Harlem and an 81-year-old elderly woman from Florida formed an unlikely friendship.

After playing the game Words with Friends together for years, the pair was finally able to meet up in Florida and became fast friends.

13. Biracial marriages were more common than they've ever been.

The overall attitude toward biracial relationships has become more tolerant as years go on. In fact, one in six newlyweds married a partner of a different ethnicity in 2017.

14. Prison inmates were given education in the arts; they played instruments and composed music.

Everyone should be given the opportunity to express themselves through music. These music workshops not only offered these inmates a sense of purpose but also a chance to create something meaningful.

15. We witnessed the total solar eclipse

.

It was a day filled with excitement and captivated most everyone as we put on our special eclipse glasses and looked toward the sky.

2017 was a year of much improvement despite all of the negative attitudes towards it. Too often, we stir up a conversation that is both discouraging and negative regarding the world's progress. Instead, let's celebrate all that we have accomplished this past year and enter 2018 with a sense of determination to improve our world and optimism for the future.