The Thief

The Thief

A Short Story Series
28

She dialed a familiar number on her phone and waited for the other end to answer.

"Hello?" a raspy voice answered.

"Luka, we have a problem."

Olivia started to pace frantically.

“What sort of problem? Where are you?” Luka asked calmly.

“It’s Damien-”

“-Are you hurt?” Luka interjected.

“No. God, no. I’m okay I guess. He didn’t hurt me. I’m at home.” Olivia reassured.

Olivia heard a few clicks on the other side of the phone.

“Chris is on his way, okay? He's already in the area so it shouldn't be too long.”

Olivia sighed a breath of relief and nodded. Luka remained quiet on the other end of the phone.

“Oh, sorry. I nodded but you couldn’t hear that.” Olivia said swallowing nervously.

Luka let out a gentle chuckle.

“It’s alright, Olivia. I’ll be there shortly and we’ll sort everything out. In the meantime, lock your doors and windows. Only let Chris in and try not to pace a hole in your floor.”

“How did you?” Olivia started.

“I can hear your footsteps.”

“Oh,” Olivia said simply.

A sharp rap came at Olivia’s door, causing a small squeal to erupt from Olivia’s mouth. She swallowed hard and her grip on her phone grew tighter.

“Olivia? Olivia? Liv?” Luka’s voice called out.

“Liv! It’s me, Chris!” Chris called from the door.

Olivia brought her phone back to her ear.

“It’s Chris.”

Olivia looked through the peephole in her door to see Chris standing alone. His hands were on his hips in an impatient stance. Olivia unlocked her door and allowed him inside. She immediately clicked the lock back into place.

“Is that the boss?” Chris asked gesturing to her phone.

Olivia nodded. Chris held out his hand for it and she handed it to him.

“Yeah, I’m here. Yes. See you soon, boss.” Chris ended the call and then looked at Olivia.

He pulled her into his arms and ran his fingers through her hair. Chris could feel her body shake as she stood there, clutching onto his shirt as if her life depended on it. Olivia tried to control her shaking body but couldn’t seem to manage it.

She clung to Chris like a child clings to their mother. She felt him plant a small kiss on the top of her head before pulling back just enough to look at her. She averted her eyes and buried her face in his chest.

“Liv, I can’t help you if I don’t know what’s going on,” Chris said gently.

Olivia’s lower lip trembled as she looked up at Chris.

“You’ll never look at me the same,” Olivia whispered.

“If this is about the thing with Damien, it won’t change anything.”

“Do you know everything?” Olivia’s eyes darted to his searching.

“I do.”

Olivia pulled his face to hers, crushing her lips into his with a ferocity she didn’t know was in her. Chris kissed back at first but then gently pushed her away. Olivia’s eyes betrayed a flash of pain.

“Liv-” Chris started.

“Chris, I’ve been so afraid to tell you. I didn’t know what to tell you or how to tell you. How do you bring that up to someone you know? I thought if you knew you’d think of me differently. You’d think I was...tainted.”

Before Chris could say anything in response, a knock came at the door. Chris gestured at Olivia to hide in the kitchen. He drew his gun and made his way to the door. He peered through the peephole and then holstered his gun.

“It’s Luka and Mitch.”

Olivia nodded. Chris opened the door to reveal an impatient looking Luka and Mitch. Mitch entered first, seeming to take up the entire door frame as he did. Olivia nodded as the massive, muscular form of Mitch moved past her to sit on her loveseat. She laughed inwardly as she saw him struggle to try to make room for another person. As intimidating as Mitch was physically, she knew that he was actually a very considerate and sensitive person with a fierce sense of loyalty.

Olivia heard the door shut and the lock clicks back into place drawing her attention back to her doorway. She briefly caught a glimpse of the well-tailored suit that she knew belonged to Luka before averting her eyes. She could feel his eyes on her and watched his feet as they made their way closer to her.

“Olivia,” Luka said softly.

Olivia continued to burn a hole into the floor with her eyes.

“Olivia, look at me,” Luka commanded sharply.

She winced at his words but met his gaze. His slate blue eyes bore into Olivia’s, almost like he was trying to find something in them. Olivia couldn’t seem to break the hold he had on her. She’d known Luka for at least a decade and she still was unnerved by him. She’d always been afraid of authority figures and he was definitely that.

It didn’t help that he was one of the more attractive men that she’d been around. His suit fit him well, showcasing his lean build. His hair was slightly tousled, as if he’d just run his hands through it moments ago. Stubble lined his jaw and a small smile played on his lips. Her eyes were drawn back to his and she noticed a scar above his left eye that divided his eyebrow into two halves.

She heard someone clear their throat. Luka looked away and Olivia was free from his spell.

“So, what exactly happened?” Mitch asked.

Olivia took a deep breath and then said,

“Damien happened.”

“What exactly does that mean, Liv?” Mitch asked.