Thick Skin

Thick Skin

We build it, we are not created with it.

14
Thick Skin
The Odyssey Online

Thick Skin.

In the world, suicide and self-harm are those topics that people shy away from

in hopes that they go away.

The in denial parents that will push their children away at the slightest sign that they are not

“Okay” because “it can’t happen to their child”.

Shows that give awareness cause riots over being too graphic and people try to shield themselves away from the fact that this happens.

That sheltered child grows up hating themselves and the people for not allowing them to talk it out.

People don’t understand that words can hurt no matter who dishes them out.

Thick skin is expected to be had instead of built.

The hate and sadness people spread is their cry for help, yet people see it and bail out.

Self esteem is killed.

Peers laugh when those people who just don’t fit in start to fade out.

Families don’t see that these children are more than their weight on a scale or their loud mouth.

Yet when they take that last step everyone’s jaws drop.

Stating how they were loved by all around and pushing blame on everyone but themselves.

Seeing how their words hurt are nothing because it’s too late.

Everyone expects thick skin to win out.

How can they expect it when they tear it down hoping that is breaks for the enjoyment of their day.

Not understanding that thick skin is built.

Built by those who support you.

Love you.

And work through the pain.
Not build by the hatred that the world has gained.

Thick skin is torn throughout the day, yet always rebuilt through the people around.

Suicide and self harm are not the only choices but for many it is the only light.

The light at the end of the tunnel of darkness they face.

When they give life too many chances and the people within it screw up more.

Hoping that people will change is a fool’s game.

Yet hoping that there will be more awareness is that too much to wish?

Wishing for people to open their eyes and see that

thick skin is built.