Why They Make Me Proud

Why They Make Me Proud

Day after day and hard time after hard time, the people who surround me make me proud because they are each living and improving.
122

Blessed, I have been surrounded by a vast variety of people throughout the years. Many people have come and gone, while some have stuck around; however, every person who I have come into contact with has affected me in some way. I am currently proud of those who are in my life now. Don’t get me wrong, I am proud of people who use to be a part of my life. Maybe it is the whole self-discovery thing talking, but I am at this moment reflecting on the pride I have for my new friends and for the ones who still manage to keep in contact with me.

Proud is defined as “very happy and pleased because of something you have done, something you own, someone you know or are related to, etc” by the Merriam-Webster Dictionary ( http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/proud ).

Specifically, I am proud of my grandparents. My grandparents have had an undying belief in myself that has taken me my whole life to have. Their spirits are indestructible. Through turmoil and a whole lot of hell, my grandparents have witnessed and been a part of more tough things than most people in the world will ever experience. Many people go through tough times, but what separates my grandparents from them is their sense of holding it all together. They have taught me that it is okay to questions things, and it is okay to be mad at times. Teaching me that my family is who I have next to me for the rest of my life, my grandparents have aided in this process of raising me. I take a surplus of pride in who they are and what they do.

Additionally, I am proud of my parents. I take pride in who they have raised me to be. I am very thankful for their sacrifice to send me to my high-tuition school to receive an education from one of the best universities in the south. They understand that the degree I will earn is one that is very important from the institution and department I am participating in. My parents also work extremely hard for what they want. Things are not handed to them, and quite frankly if they were my parents would not take them. Their influence and character have shaped me, also allowed me to grow into who I want to be. I am beyond pleased in all that they have accomplished as my parents and as people.

Moreover, I am proud of my brother and sister. My sister is sixteen years old, and she has a strong soul. I am proud of her dedication to the things she is passionate about. From building artwork to painting shelves, she is a master at whatever she sits down to do. I am proud of her desire to help people see the better in themselves. She claims that is who she is, and I am very proud of her for going against the grain. My brother is only eight years old, but he is one master math magician. Okay maybe I am exaggerating, but I am so proud of him for his academic success thus far. Even though he hates doing his homework, he does it and then when assessed he aces all assignments. My parents put him in basketball to get involved and for the exercise. Well at first he was very timid, but now he is a great player. He practices with his team, and he doesn’t give up. I am proud of him for never giving up even when he doesn’t think he can do something.

Furthermore, I am proud of my boyfriend. Sappy post coming your way. Making a decision that less than 1% of Americans and spending long hours training to protect this country, is something I think we can all say we seek pride in. My boyfriend and the people on his ship are currently serving us. Not only that but they are risking everything to do that. I am proud of my boyfriend for sticking with it and for making the most of his time thus far. Mentally and physically he is incredibly strong. He is intelligent and quick on his feet. I cannot imagine living in close corners with over 2,000 people on a ship for months at a time. I am proud of his decision to go Navy. I am proud of him for being in for almost an entire year of going through training and countless mind games. I am proud of him for remaining loyal even when that is not the most popular point of view. Proud of his personal accomplishments, from becoming more active to thinking differently. I am proud of everything he does. He knows the fine line between his career and family. I am proud of him for making efforts to become a better man daily and to grow.

Likewise, I am proud of my friends. Sophomore year of college is hard, and we are all at different places. I have friends who are married. I have friends who are graduating early. I have friends who are involved in just about everything on campus. My friends make me proud. One friend of mine dedicated a good chunk of her outside time to filming a video for our sorority rush week, and her persistence and commitment to it makes me proud. Another friend of mine is committed to doing better this semester and making the Dean’s List. She spends countless hours studying and reading. I am proud of her for setting a goal and chasing after it. My roommate from last year has transferred schools, and she works a full-time job. She is married and has a little fur baby. I am proud of her for fighting through the first months of marriage because we all know those are hard. I am proud of her for spending long hours studying so that she can pursue her career of being a midwife. I am proud of her for working hard so that she can earn money for the things she needs and desires. My current roommate is a Nutrition major. She has a super strong personality and she does not let much get her down. I am proud of her for always letting things go, and for spending her free time reading and practicing extremely hard chemistry. I have many more friends that are pushing themselves, and succeeding in their own eyes.

All having our own battles, causes us all to fight hard for something else. I am proud of the people in my life because they have not given up. Day after day and hard time after hard time, the people who surround me make me proud because they are each living and improving. Even though I am proud of them, my prayer for these people is that they would find a sense of pride within their humble selves. The perfect amount of pride boosts your self-confidence and also motivates you to keep on striving to be better. It was my pleasure to give you a snapshot of just a few special people in my life.