12 Things to Love About Longwood

12 Things to Love About Longwood

Longwood is where the heart is.

55
12 Things to Love About Longwood
Longwood University

So it's that time of year again, back to school. In high school this was a drag; you just wanted summer to last forever. College is a different story. I dreaded the close of the year and counted down to the return of the semester. Why? Why would I be counting down, anticipating a return to constant studying, tests and stress? The answer is simple. Because I go to Longwood, because I'm a Lancer. Longwood is my cherished and beloved home, and here is why:

1. Friendly faces everywhere: I am comfortable guaranteeing that if you walked around campus from one place to another you'd at least get one smile, or a "hello" from somebody on your way. Everyone on campus is smiling, and everyone is happy. There is a spirit about Longwood that is within its students and faculty that isn't easy to come by, and isn't found everywhere. Longwood is a place where strangers come together and become family, and that's not something that happens on many campuses.

2. Small class sizes: In a class with 500 or more people, there is a small likelihood that your professor is going to know your name, or even your face at any point in the semester. At Longwood, our faculty makes an effort to know you, and to help you succeed in any way they can. You're never a number, and you are always cared for. The small classes give students an opportunity to succeed that isn't present at a large university.

3. Abundant opportunities: With over 150 clubs and organizations on campus, there is something for everyone. You can be in one thing, or five things, or 10 things or even 15 (given the time) at Longwood. From Greek life to Anime Club, to The Fishing Club and Belly Dancing, there is a place for anyone to join. Clubs and organizations work together to allow students to be involved in more than one thing, because Longwood cares and wants you to succeed.

4. Faculty who love Longwood as much as we do: A majority of professors at Longwood were offered multiple opportunities to work for many other Universities when they applied; Universities and Colleges that probably paid more and/or were closer to home. Yet they chose Longwood. Why? Because people love to be loved. People love to feel at home. Longwood is home to not only students but also the faculty and they all care about their students. They take time to learn their names. Even the President of the University and the Dean of Students took the time to learn and remember my name. Personal relationships with professors and staff is something not easily found, but you can find it easily at Longwood.

5. Students who share the love for our school: Working as a Peer Mentor I've had the pleasure to work with the students that share a strong passion for Longwood, and it's been amazing. Everyone on campus is different; different pasts, families, backgrounds and outlooks. But we all love Longwood for many different reasons. Being around people who love something just as much as you do is an amazing feeling, and it's hard to come by.

6. Expectation to be Citizen Leaders: Longwood has a mission to create Citizen Leaders out of each of their students. They strive to create a balance of Education, Service and Values. To know that those around you on campus have the same goal and outlook is a comforting thing, and it is something we are all every proud of.

7. Safety: Longwood is known to be a safe place with an abundance of resources to uphold that reputation. Our LUPD Officers take a special place in the heart of campus because they care. They are not there for just the paycheck, they are here to help us and they genuinely care.

8. Breathtaking campus: A common theme among students and visitors is the love of our Farmville area and our college campus. Our landscaping and nature is absolutely gorgeous, and its another thing we as students take pride in.

9. Student employees: At Longwood we have so many opportunities to have on campus employment. This is something I take advantage of (twice) and it is something I am thankful for. We as a student body love having students working on campus in our facilities and with our students.

10. Events on events on events: Clubs and organizations are always putting on events for students and faculty to attend. Lancer productions, First Year Experience and Family Programs and Sorority and Fraternity Life are always doing things for students, faculty and their families to attend (and that's just to list a few). These events are always a lot of fun and a great way to meet new people.

11. Clear understanding of the Honor Code unique to Longwood: While most schools do have an Honor Code in some form, no where has an Honor System like Longwood does. We hold all of our students accountable to this Honor Code an its 12 points: Honesty, Scholarship, Responsibility, Pride, Perseverance, Potential, Character, Humility, Integrity, Civility, Leadership and Service. This is something all Longwood Students agree to and take seriously. I love this about Longwood because I know we as students are all held to the same standards and expectations which makes students feel more secure and comfortable.

12. The space and ability to be YOU: Longwood is an environment where all walks of life are respected. This isn't a place to be judged, but rather to be accepted. Your past is your past, and you can start new here and be welcomed with open arms.