There Is Such A Thing As Skinny Shaming

There Is Such A Thing As Skinny Shaming

It really is okay to be skinny; I've learned to convince myself of this, now it's your turn.

31
There Is Such A Thing As Skinny Shaming
Youtube.com

If I had a penny for every time I was told to “eat more” or to “put some meat on my bones," I would have enough money to pay for my college tuition and then some. If a person tells another person to “eat less” it is totally unacceptable, which I totally agree with.

But when a person tells another person to “eat more” it’s sometimes considered a compliment, which I don't necessarily agree with. Telling someone how they should eat whether its more or less is not a compliment. Sarcastically calling someone anorexic is not a compliment. I’ve been told so many times by different people that they hate me because I “can eat what I want and gain no weight”. Yes, I am skinny and yes I have a somewhat high metabolism. People assume I gain no weight, but I do. Just like anybody else.

There is a new phenomenon these days that is improving the self image of the new generation – young ladies especially. It’s great that its slowly becoming more and more acceptable to be comfortable in one’s body no matter how big, but what about how small? Some people cannot control how skinny they are, some are just born that way. And instead of accepting those people for who they are, the message we've all been trying to get across all these years, these people are automatically hated by those who don’t feel as skinny. It boggles my mind that the phrase “every inch of you is perfect from the bottom to the top” is used in the same song as the term “skinny bitches” which is used to push skinny people to the side as if they think they’re better than anyone else.

A person can have negative body image no matter how much they weigh. It is very unfair for someone who is skinnier to be told “oh boo hoo you probably weigh 100 pounds soaking wet” and basically denied any right to be insecure right then and there. I have heard that millions of times and it does not make me feel any better about myself because it’s untrue. I weigh more than 100 pounds when I’m bone dry, so saying that is irrelevant. When anyone comes to you about their insecurities about their looks, the appropriate response should be helpful reassurance no matter how big or little they may be, it shouldn’t depend on what they look like to you; what’s important is how they look to themselves.

It is beyond wonderful that people have become more and more comfortable in their own bodies, but I’m afraid that it is also bringing on hate to those who may or may not have always felt comfortable; making them no longer feel comfortable. I may not be able to speak for every skinny person out there, but I can speak for myself.

Just because I am skinny does not mean I am a whore. Just because I am skinny does not mean I can eat whatever I want. Just because I am skinny does not mean I can’t be insecure about my body. Just because my ribs may be visible that does not make me ugly, just like if ones ribs aren't visible that doesn’t make them ugly either. It’s about time that the phrase “every inch of you is perfect from the bottom to the top” applies to everyone; skinny and not skinny.

“Real Women are fat. And thin. And both, and neither, and otherwise.” -Hanne Blank