THERE IS NO STRAIGHT ROAD IN LIFE

THERE IS NO STRAIGHT ROAD IN LIFE

Today if you are not where you want to be in life, do not be discouraged.

865
THERE IS NO STRAIGHT ROAD IN LIFE
Kiara Pajon

In one of my past articles ( 15 THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT GOD'S GPS) , I discussed God's GPS and how we should let that guide us. But, in the course of life when we wander off, all of a sudden we want things to work our way (more like right away).

Like I have been hearing for a while now " there is no success without struggles". I actually got to experience this, and I also know that no one that "made it" had it easy. So, today, if you are not where you want to be in life, do not be discouraged. Quick note: " being a follower of Christ doesn't mean that everything will work out the way you expect them to, us Christians who choose the narrow path needs to constantly remember this (I will believe and give praise for my blessings even when things are not going my way).

Let me tell you about the times that I have wanted straight roads (easier roads) when I migrated to the U.S from Haiti, I had just finished secondary school (equal to finishing high school). When I came, I didn't go to college right away because I needed to learn English and the English program had already started by the time I moved. So, I had to wait for another semester. I was very upset and wanted to go back to Haiti. Throughout those times, I would always say to myself, if you were in Haiti now you would be doing this and that. My biggest barrier was being able to communicate in English effectively and every time someone would look down on me for that or for my thick accent those ideas always come crawling in my mind even if I tell myself that I'd stop. So, I decided to make the best out of this opportunity.When I started the program; I was so eager to finish that I did it in less time than they gave me. After that, I took the college placement test (PERT at Miami Dade College) and passed and started taking the regular college classes without taking any intermediate course When I found out what the steps to go to medical school in the U.S are (click here to see), I thought that maybe I should have stayed in Haiti because in about 5 years I would be a physician (but, is this even true?). Every time something didn't go my way, the same ideas or worse crawl back in.

If there is one thing I learned from all these situations, it would be the ideas that come to our mind is not what matters. The only thing that truly matters is what we do about it. Yes!!! what you do about it is what matters because if I didn't change my mindset and say I would make the best out of this opportunity and decided I would feel sorry for myself for all the things I could have done and didn't get to do, I don't know where I would be today. I know for a fact I wouldn't be writing for Odyssey today and have you as a reader. God's plan for me was for me to be exactly where I am today, things might have gone a different way at times due to unknown reasons, but I believe in His plans for me and I know that they are far greater than what I can imagine.

What is your situation today? What do you think you could have done, if you didn't do this or that? What ideas are crawling into your head? What is bringing you down? Today I want you to remember that those ideas might always come crawling in, but do not feed them. I repeat do not feed them!!! Do not feel sorry for yourself, and most importantly do not compare yourself to other people. Your high school friends might be doctors, nurses, lawyers, electricians, carpenters, and more; that is great, rejoice for them, but do not feel sorry for yourself. They had different opportunities, and you don't know how they got there, so just wait for your day.

If I continued to feel sorry for myself and not learn English, not focus on school, I wouldn't be writing this today. So, friends DO NOT LIVE IN THE PAST, and stop regretting what could have happened.

I am not where I want to be today, but I am certainly not where I used to be. I can say that my English barrier has been broken (well, almost!!!). I hope this piece got to enlighten you and brought you or a loved one some encouragement.

Xoxo,

DD