7 Resources To Help Your Journey In Therapy

Feel A Lil' Better: Because Everyone Needs To Talk With Someone

387
Warner Bros. Television

No matter how good (or bad) you'd describe your health, one thing is for sure: a little boost is ALWAYS a good idea. Whether that's reading a new, motivating book or listening to a song that speaks to your soul, there are plenty of resources to help your health thrive on any given day.

In today's world, therapy is more common than ever before. Not only are people booking appointments to sit down and talk to people who are qualified to help them, but we're also beginning to accept public conversations about therapy as OK. That is a big deal for a society that has a history of keeping mental health hush-hush.

All this to say, it can still be really hard to make the decision to try therapy.

Each week, we're bringing you the best resources and influencers to give you this mental health boost. Here's what we're following this week to take on the subject of taking that first step and going to therapy.

Book: "Maybe You Should Talk to Someone"

Taking the plunge and deciding to go to therapy can be really, REALLY scary. "Maybe You Should Talk to Someone" may just be the encouragement you need to see that yes, opening up can be worth it in the long run.

Podcast: "Soul Sugar" with Carrie Rad

open.spotify.com

Carrie Rad hosts the weekly podcast "Soul Sugar," for individuals looking to be their best selves. In this episode, she is joined by Dr. Chandler Chang (@therapylabinc) to talk about working through certain life stages/events in a therapy setting. Maybe what you're going through will be on their list!

Instagram influencer: Bri Vieira

Bri Vieira is a mental health advocate who uses her platform to speak openly about mental illnesses. She encourages her followers to take care of their health and be true to themselves. By sharing her own life openly and honestly, others can learn from her and take her example — therapy and all.

SEE ALSO: 7 Resources To Help Your Seasonal Affective Disorder

Twitter account: Travis Akers 

Travis is, by all accounts, a very successful man. He has contributed to CNN, HuffPo, WaPo, and Newsweek. He is an avid campaigner for Elizabeth Warren's presidential run. And he is also a mental health advocate reminding you that everyone — even the people who look like they have it all together — need help with their mental health. He himself goes to therapy once a week and I'm sure he'd encourage you to do the same.

YouTuber: Kati Morton 

OK but what even HAPPENS the first time you go to therapy? Thankfully, YouTuber Kati Morton is here to give us all the details about what this experience is really like. If you know exactly what you're signing up for before you actually enter that office, it may just be a little less scary.

Musician: James Arthur, "Recovery"

Whether we admit it out loud of not, the decision to go to therapy generally comes from a need to heal. James Arthur beautifully captures this in his song "Recovery," where he encourages you to push onward, getting stronger with each day. It's worth it, friends.

BONUS: My Therapy Journal

All this new growth you're experiencing needs to be documented! Get those feelings out there with a simple therapy journal to document this stage of your life. You'll want to look back and see what a difference those sessions have made.

Is there a wellness resource you'd like to see featured? Send an email to lily.moe@theodysseyonline.com.