The True Importance of Self-Love

The True Importance of Self-Love

Embrace the great qualities that make you who you are!

3
The True Importance of Self-Love
Leah Moore

"Did you see her thighs?" "Well with a body like that, who would date her?" "She dresses so trashy." "She never stops eating." "People that size definitely shouldn't wear clothes like that."

Stop.

No one is innocent. We all criticize others, whether we are happy to admit it or not. Society has set standards about a woman's body, mind, career potentials, and more. This immediately makes an overwhelming majority of women insecure about who they are, how they look and what they have to offer to the world. As a whole, today's media is so focused on the negative. This causes the spirits of women who could be revolutionaries to be smacked down and "put in their place." While changing an entire society's view of the female image is an obstacle that I'm not ready to take on just yet, I believe the flaws in all of society's thinking can be changed simply by the way each person views themselves. With the world fighting against us, it's about time we all love ourselves. Because if you don't respect your power, your unique beauty and your potential -- I assure you no one else will.

You, my dear, have the power to change the thinking of the people around you. But the process of change has to start on the inside. If you hold the world in a golden light and view yourself in the shadows, how will you ever be able to be a successful individual? If you don't respect yourself, how will you ever recognize and expect the level of respect that you deserve? Does the world keep disappointing you? Your boyfriend (or lack thereof), that friend that's such a taker, the boss that always schedules you over time -- if you knew your worth, you could avoid these disappointments.

The phrase "we accept the love we think we deserve" speaks volumes. This is why self-love is so important. If you take the time to see your own beauty, it will reflect in the world around you. The journey to loving yourself can be a long, bumpy ride -- but it is so worthwhile. Stop looking in the mirror and hating your thighs, your acne or your pant size. Stop laying down to sleep and being bothered by the anxiety that no one will love you, that you won't do well on your exam tomorrow or that you'll never be able to have your "dream body."

Start focusing on the beautiful parts of who you are and the wonderful things you are capable of. Maybe you play the piano beautifully, you're passionate about environmental issues or animal rights, you're a great public speaker, you are skilled at doing makeup or hair, you're a fiercely genuine friend or you have beautiful legs that go on for miles. Make a list of the great parts of who you are -- your best physical attributes, personality traits and accomplishments. Because your worth should not be solidified by who loves you, but rather what you find great in yourself.

Once you embrace your potential and your positive attributes, you'll find a new attitude about yourself and everything around you. Good people will see this new light of confidence shining from within you, and they'll line up to be a part of your radiant beauty and your brag-worthy accomplishments. Knowing your worth will bring you amazing things in life, and loving yourself is the beautiful start. So today and every day forward, take a few moments to tell yourself what makes you so beautiful and worthy of love. I promise your life will improve accordingly.