Theatre Happens In Brooklyn Too!

Theatre Happens In Brooklyn Too!

Two Brooklyn Reading Series to check out!

11
Theatre Happens In Brooklyn Too!
Manhasset Symphony 6-Pack Music Stand

It seems that a lot of the world, even people who live in the city, think Manhattan is the only place where theatre happens. You have an event in Brooklyn and people can't fathom the trek. "I'm not gonna go all the way to Brooklyn!" they say as if Brooklyn is located in a mysterious wardrobe that leads to an alternate land. But it's a train ride away depending where you live. And there are people who come to Manhattan from Connecticut or Long Island every day. Brooklyn should be a breeze!

I want to talk about two reading series in Brooklyn. The first is called Playwrights at the Grand. Every second Thursday of the month they devote to presenting readings of new plays. I've been involved as a writer three times and they are always packed! Clarke and Chad are two Pace boys who created a community that showcases their fellow Pace alumni as actors while they have our works read and we get feedback.

Just this Thursday they had their two-year anniversary party. There was cake, cupcakes, plays that past playwrights like myself wrote specifically for this event, a drinking game, and a raffle. It's an environment of love and fun!

The next reading series I want to mention is Casa de Beverley's One Acts and Snacks. You get snacks while listening to actors read works of playwrights. They are about to kick off their third season, which is dedicated to all female playwrights. OAS takes place every third Saturday (minus December, January and the summer) of each month. Each time you come you will hear three short plays, a talkback, and have awesome mingling time. I came on board early last year as an actor. This season I come on board as one of the co-producers. OAS also has Casa Cares in which they donate half their proceedings to a different charity each month. Opening night is September 17 at 6:30pm!

https://www.facebook.com/events/1721035198161821/