The Void Between Equality And Political Nuance

Ronald Reagan and Donald Trump, is there really much of a difference?

95

By now, many must recognize that the history carried by the United States is filled with unfairness and injustice, as the beginning of the American people (white Europeans) took control upon many races - first Native Americans and then Africans.

Even as time has progressed, White Americans have always (and still) carried the social and political power. After slavery was abolished, many new forms of legislation were put intact to keep white individuals in control of both the political and social realm; like Jim Crow and heavy policing on drugs. The policing of drugs is still heavily present in the current living, although during the 1980’s, there was a dire flaw established when it came to taking control over the many individuals utilizing drugs.

During his reign, Ronald Reagan only demanded high consequences on crack cocaine, which during the time, over 85% of black Americans utilized. Their counterpart, white Americans, utilized powder cocaine more often than crack cocaine. Now the consequences of being found with crack cocaine were 44% worse than being found with powder cocaine. If found with crack, many times individuals would then spend the rest of their life in a prison cell. If found with power, individuals would receive a slap on the wrist or a minor misdemeanor.

Politicians, like Ronald Reagan, use drug epidemics to cover their hidden agenda of criminalizing minorities and putting them into the prison system. This action is the constant fear (coming specifically from White Americans) of inclusiveness as a society and unfortunately, mental racism transpiring. What’s worse, this mentality hasn’t changed for the better. As Donald Trump has progressed in his political career, he has become more aware of the drug epidemic happening in America. He declares he will do sharp measures to control these epidemics, although society has yet to see what these measures will entail.

Unfortunately, I’m not sure if it will be as different as Ronald Reagan, as, in 1980, both Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton describe the severe violence in America as treacherous and unavoidable. This "severe violence" described by both, was about the numerous allegations and attention given to the black community via the media, as many corporations were describing the black community as "monsters"; yet in 2016, these two politicians were America’s only choices as presidents.

As a whole, there is not enough diversity inside the political parties. There are not enough options or leaders when it comes to diversity and even equality as many people in this country are still viewed based upon their skin color. Even still, the upcoming and current generation has the power to work and create new leaders and movements where hopefully, the stagnant American viewpoints and same old politicians are finally washed away.