Why The Voice is Losing Viewers This Season

The Voice: The Gwen and Blake Mistake

350
Google

One of the things I love most about NBC’s "The Voice" is the refreshing take on competition in today’s world. The “blind auditions” eliminate any bias in judgment due to race, gender, height, religion, fashion, style, and the list goes. With the many debates on discrimination going on, such as feminism campaigns, black lives matter, and so many more, "The Voice" brings communities together in a refreshing way.

The competition is based solely off of the singer’s voices and their voices alone. NBC’s "The Voice" is organized in a way that no other talent competition show has been set up in the past. With the interesting different rounds, such as auditions, knockouts, and the battles, the competition stays tough and intense the whole time! One of my favorite things about the show is the four judges every season. Adam Levine and Blake Shelton are a staple to the show’s aura. Their never-ending banter keeps everyone laughing. The other two judges rotate with each new season which keeps the opinions fresh. This season, the other two judges are the returning American singer and songwriters Gwen Stefani and Alicia Keys. If you live in a house like mine, "The Voice" is a weekly tradition that gets the family gathered on the couch with popcorn in hand.

Although, this season has brought quite a change, not only in my family’s opinion, but in the viewer's population as well. We are all aware and have all heard of the recently new relationship between Blake Shelton and Gwen Stefani. Both Blake and Gwen were married and decided to get divorced around the same time. Regardless of the reasons for each splitting off their marriages, whether for each other or not, the public display of their relationship on the television is annoying and inappropriate, and according to the ratings, I am not the only one who feels this way.

The two judges Blake and Gwen have managed to take the spotlight off of the amazing and talented singers and place it on themselves. The couple takes every opportunity to display their relationship and love for each other. "The Voice" lost nearly two million viewers practically overnight and I think the ceaseless flirting between the love birds is to blame. Now, not only does Blake share a brother like relationship with Adam on the show, but now a romantic one with Gwen as well.

I think that hopefully if the flirting stops, the rapidly dropping ratings will as well!