To The Undeclared Major, It Will Be Ok

To The Undeclared Major, It Will Be Ok

You will find something you love don't worry!

485
To The Undeclared Major, It Will Be Ok
Personal photo

The two questions I hated being asked my senior year of high school were "where are you going to college" and "what are you majoring in". Both totally normal questions but as someone who didn't know what they wanted to do with their life, who also like having a clear plan, it stressed me out... a lot.

I got used to telling people that I was going to declare as a marketing major, on paper, it sounded great to me. I'm not going to lie the main reason why I was attracted to the major was due to how much on average they can make (this is NOT a good reason to pick a major). I was worried that I wouldn't be able to express creativity in that major so my adviser recommended I check out an introduction to advertising class because advertising is kinda similar marketing but less math is involved and more creative.

About a month into my advertising class I realized being a business major was not for me and I was incredibly happy that I had not filled out all of the paperwork for declaring a major.

At the same time that I was enrolled in this advertising class, I took a class with a professor I had the prior semester for history for another course. About a month into the second semester I declared as a history major.

History has always been something that interests me; I was obsessed with all of Laura Ingall's books when I was small, preferred going to historical landmarks over a day at the beach, and binge-watched all of Turn: Washington's Spies over winter break with great enthusiasm.

What I believe was keeping me from declaring as a history major initially was the fact that I don't particularly want to become a teacher or a lawyer. I'm still not really sure what I want to do with my degree but I don't have to have that figured out for a while yet.

So to the undeclared major,

Take a breath and enroll in intro classes, they are worth it because you will quickly figure out if it's something you could see yourself one day doing for a living. Join clubs for things you find interesting, you'll either make friends or figure out it's more of a hobby than a passion. Most importantly remember it's okay to not have everything figured out yet, you're still a teenager.