The Truth About "Six Pack Abs"

The Truth About "Six Pack Abs"

Trimming away the fat from what you know about getting a six pack

47
The Truth About "Six Pack Abs"

Ask anyone who works out what they would like to see in their body and they will answer with a defined “six pack.” Stomach is number 1 on the most desired list for anyone who works out and I’m here to give you the true facts on real abdominal strength and definition.

First Thing's First

If you are one of those people who buys into DVD’s, I’m here to tell you that most of them are weak when it comes to real core strength development. Additionally, defined abs are the combined result of muscle development and a low body fat; these DVD’s tend to focus on only one aspect of that.

Okay let's face the facts.

If you are 6’2, 150 pounds and can see your six pack, it’s not because you have “ripped abs,” it’s because you’re incredibly lean. Visible abs doesn’t necessarily mean you have any real strength with them or the ability to use them in performance areas. However, you are in fact one of those skinny a**holes which everyone loves to hate yet we all envy you.

Your abs aren’t just that “washboard” everyone likes to boast about; they go much deeper into your body and include muscles such as your transverse abdominus as well as your external and internal obliques. In fact, your core is actually made up of more than 30 individual muscles that stabilize your spine and pelvis. These deep muscles allow the “six pack” to be utilized properly by stabilizing your spine and work for you while performing any movement in the gym.

The main function of your core including your abdominals is to protect and stabilize your spine while your extremities-- arms and legs, etc., are moving. Your core allows you to stand upright and keep your spine protected during movements. This is the true role of your core; everything else is a bonus. Bench, squat, deadlift—those are all exercises designed, when properly done, to prevent you from moving too much in certain directions with your spine, which can cause serious injury.

Time for school.

From an anatomy standpoint, your body is not designed to crunch. I know—heartbreaker. But from a functional standpoint, crunching can put unnecessary pressure on the spine, when not done properly. Many people force their head as they crunch which means essentially forcing your spine in a risky way which I’m not a fan of. Be very cautious when performing any type of crunching motion. Knee raises are a great alternative or knees to chest which just means your knees go a little higher than a common knee raise-- this can be done on the floor, from a hanging positon with a pull-up bar, or with your arms locked out on dip bars. Both exercises are to me, safe and more effective than scissor kicks or other risker alternatives and can build up that deep core strength just as well.

A great tool in strengthening your core is learning how to properly breathe during exercise. Learning how to breathe correctly is the single biggest aspect of core training you could learn and the benefits are extensive. Diaphragmatic breathing allows all the inner core muscles to get worked to properly assisting the outer core muscles, and it also teaches you a vital tool to use when exercising.

Bracing is the second biggest tool you have with developing core strength. Bracing is keeping your core tight which can help keep a neutral spine. Bracing just means tensing up your core like someone is about to punch you in the stomach; this keeps everything tight and allows for better stability while performing exercises. Bracing is completely necessary for performing key lifts and can assist you in performing each lift.

Some key core movement patterns to specifically train your abs are as follows: anti-flexion, anti-extension, anti-rotation, anti-lateral flexion. Each of these patterns require RESISTING movement to keep your spine neutral.

Don’t worry, I’ll give you a rundown of each movement pattern.

Anti-flexion would be holding a glute bridge during the period where you’re tensed up during an exercise, allowing your spine to stay straight. Bracing is very important here because you are doing reps of a given movement, so it’s key to remember to never let your core become too loose during the motion. Hip thrusts are another good anti-flexion exercise.

Anti-extension would be your common plank or side plank and your uncommon harder exercise like using an ab wheel. Ab wheels are NOT easy to do despite it being the popular core tool now in the gym. If you don’t have a neutral spine (remember those two words), and seem to be unnecessary humping the floor, stop using the ab wheel and master the plank first; just made sure your back is straight and you’re bracing during a plank.

An anti-rotation example is something simple such as a pallof press or what I like to call, doing the alphabet. Basically, the alphabet means keeping a band or cable machine laterally to your body so that the weight makes you fight to not be pulled in; resist and bring the band to your chest and push out from your chest or, try to draw big bubble letters of the alphabet. Keep your core braced and arms out straight for this exercise and you will sure feel the effects.

Anti-lateral flexion means carrying a heavy object on one side without letting it lean you in to that side or keep you unbalanced in any way. Suitcase carries are a perfect example, or farmer’s walks which just means now it’s two hands (one weight each side) than one, or kettlebell carries in a rack position.

Finally...

Deadlifting and barbell back squats are great tools for core strength because they involve proper bracing and a neutral spine to perform correctly. Your overall squat and deadlifting max should continue to go up as your core gets stronger. Deadlifting is a terrific exercise but most people forget to consider how involved their core is just to perform a single rep.

These are all great core strengthening tools to start to learn and eventually master.

All the exercises I mentioned are not the only ones out there, but just a few examples of each type. Your core is made to promote stability and protect the spine. Practice movements which assist that goal as well as mastering breathing techniques such as bracing with every major exercise, or any exercise at all. Once you understand the main purpose of the core and how it plays a role with every exercise you perform, your core should develop and become a stronger force adding to your success.