The Truth About Being Impulsive

The Truth About Being Impulsive

It's not such a bad thing after all.

57
The Truth About Being Impulsive
Tumblr

Impulsive: tending to do things suddenly and without careful thought; acts on impulses.

All my life, I have been considered an impulsive person. I am not one to overthink things, and I tend to make all my important life choices by following "a feeling". Consequences is not something that I consider 99% of the time, and if it feels right, i'm doing it. I never stress the small stuff and usually "hope for the best" in every situation I find myself in. To some this may seem reckless and irresponsible, but to me, it just makes life all that more exciting.

I am the first to admit that my impulsiveness often gets me in trouble. I'm always down for an adventure, and sometimes these escapades turn into a lot more than I bargained for. Because of this, i've learned to make the best out of any situation and all my friends know they can come to me if they want to hear a wild story. Sure, we may make mistakes, but we learn from them. Impulsiveness isn't as negative of a trait that people make it out to be. Last year I blew through my entire savings account on "in the moment" purchases. As horrible as that was, you can bet your bottom that I never spent $36 on a selfie stick ever again.

One of the biggest impulsive decisions i've made so far, that hasn't worked out, was my original choices of college. Senior year I committed to a school, because it looked cool online, without doing any further research was a mistake. Then I went up on Accepted Student's day and was instantly turned off. The following week was May 1st and I ended up at another school that I wasn't completely happy at. Now, two years later, i'm finally someplace where I belong. Ironically, the school I transferred too was another pretty random decision, and I just crossed my fingers and hoped everything would work out. Making impulsive decisions don't always work out, but when they do, it's extraordinary.

Another spontaneous decision that I made was my choice in major. Last year, my advisor told me I had 40 minutes to declare a major. I've been putting it off for the last three months, and it was down to the wire (literally). I looked at my choices, and confidently circled English. I then went home and googled "jobs I can get as an English major". Although I don't know exactly what I want to do with my major, things always find a way of working itself out.

Impulsive people are: energetic, enthusiastic, thrill seekers, and genuinely enjoy life. Sure we may find ourselves on the wrong side of town, after quickly deciding that walking will be more exciting than driving, but we always find a way home. So for those of you that see impulsiveness as a bad thing, I challenge you to make a decision. Don't talk to others, don't overanalyze it, just do it. Obviously don't put yourself into danger, and it doesn't have to be as extreme as choosing your college, but just decide to do something in the moment. It's exhilarating, and exciting, and well worth it...I promise.