The True Nature Of The "Pfeiffer Pfamily"

At Pfeiffer, we take "Pfamily" with a "Pf" to a whole new meaning.

9

In the village ofIn the village of Misenheimer, North Carolina resides Pfeiffer University. Pfeiffer has adopted placing a "Pf" in place of a word that would otherwise have an "F" in the beginning. The concept of "Pfam" at Pfeiffer University may be the epitome of cliché but is extremely accurate.

Come mid-August, each freshman class settles into Cline, Merner, and Rowe dorms. When orientation begins, the word "Pfam" is thrown around and Pfeiffer faculty along with upperclassmen stress the importance of "Pfam." Finding your "Pfam" is vital through your Pfeiffer Journey.

Pfeiffer is a small private university which encourages a community atmosphere and a sense of closeness within the campus. The most-used word in my vocabulary is always "Hi!" Everybody knows everybody on campus, so it would be rude to not say "Hi!" to somebody that you know. Pfeiffer has been put on the map mostly due to our sensational Falcon Men's Soccer Team winning the 2015 Division II National Championship. Pfeiffer soccer games are our equivalent to college football. Students, faculty, alumni, and local fans come out to each and every game to cheer the team on. Soccer is the most popular fall sport and most attended sport on campus, but this camaraderie is just the beginning Pfeiffer's sporting events. Basketball shortly overlaps the soccer season, but that is where the Falcons shift over to support. It does not matter who the opposing team is, many students and majority of other athletic teams cheer on their fellow Falcons. Even with their National Championship success, the soccer guys have never forgotten their "Pfam." They reciprocate the support that the student body has given them. Each athlete understands what support from the crowd means when working their hearts out on the field or court truly means. Having your "Pfam" support you goes a long way. Even with all their success, the soccer guys have never forgotten their "Pfam."

Pfeiffer is a place where an NARP, "Non-Athletic Regular Person" is best friends with a student-athlete. NARPs and student-athletes interact in the classroom, athletic events, and the numerous clubs Pfeiffer has to offer. This has encouraged the sense of closeness and "Pfam" to a level of diversity. Pfeiffer brings people together from all over the world with diverse diversified backgrounds and interests. No matter the differences, each and every Falcon is here to excel in the classroom, on the court/field, and through their Pfeiffer Journey.

Pfeiffer is unique because this "Pfeiffer Pfamily" provides the opportunity for Pfeiffer students to participate within the local community including volunteering, musical ensembles, and community activities. The "Pfeiffer Pfam" extends well beyond once you become an alumnus of Pfeiffer University. Alumni are encouraged to return to Pfeiffer and reminisce on their time of being a member of the "Pfeiffer Pfam." Many alumni even return to Pfeiffer to be a member of the faculty and promote the university where they found their "Pfam."

I found it beneficial to have a member of my own "Pfeiffer Pfam" give me their input on their view of the "Pfeiffer Pfam." Mylene, a senior student-athlete from Canada, has been a member of the Pfeiffer community for four years. She has expressed the true meaning of "Pfamily" as one could imagine. "Pfeiffer unfortunately due to its closeness has no secrets, but I guess correlating that to a family, it makes us closer too. Just like brothers and sisters, we may fight or have disagreements, but due to our closeness, we work things out. With this closeness, our "Pfamily" bond grows even stronger."

As I reflect on my first semester as a member of the "Pfeiffer Pfam," I realized that this corny cliché has played a key role throughout my time at Pfeiffer thus far. It did not take me long to find my "Pfam" and allowed Pfeiffer to become my home away from home. My "Pfam" has supported me through the beginning of my Pfeiffer Journey to the present. The concept of "Pfamily" has been vital to my experiences at Pfeiffer and will stay with me throughout my life. Once a member of the "Pfeiffer Pfam," always a member of the "Pfeiffer Pfam!"