The Traditions Behind Different Types of Navy Hats

The United States Naval uniform is rooted in deep tradition. There are many versions of the uniform, depending on the job of the sailor.

24

.

The United States Naval uniform is rooted in deep tradition. There are many versions of the uniform, depending on the job of the sailor. Sailors also have uniforms for multiple occasions, such as work duty and formal events. Naval uniforms have gone through many evolutions over the years and headwear, specifically, has changed significantly over this time.

The history of Naval hats is an interesting study in the factors that led to change, like functionality and style. These include the flat hat, the garrison cap, the peaked cap, the iconic white service hat or “Dixie Cup,” and the most recent, the baseball hat, or U.S. Navy cap. Let’s look at a few of these service hats and how they came to be.

The Flat Hat

The flat hat was a low, blue, wool hat that was first introduced in the 1850s and lasted for over a hundred years until it was officially withdrawn by the Navy in 1963. It included a ribbon around the brim and down the side, on which the name of the ship or station of the wearer was embroidered. For safety reasons in wartime, the name of the posting was removed and replaced with “US Navy.” This was done so enemies wouldn’t know the specific ships that were in port when they saw the sailors on shore. The flat hat is also famously worn by Donald Duck.

The Peaked Cap

The peaked cap has a flat circular top with a visor in front. There are similar peaked caps for officers and enlisted sailors, but each have different insignias on them. The embroidery on the front of the cap and visor, straps, and buttons on the hat also signify the wearer’s job and rank. Peaked caps have multiple covers that match different color uniforms, such as white, khaki, blue, or green, among others.

Female sailors wore a different version of the peaked cap, known as the bucket hat. However, to promote gender equality, the Navy began phasing out the bucket hat in 2016 and now all sailors wear the same peaked caps.

The Garrison Cap

The garrison cap was first designed as an alternative to the peaked cap and became officially authorized by the Navy in 1943. Made of cotton or wool, they can be folded flat, making them more convenient than the rigid and bulkier peaked caps. Producing garrison caps for sailors was less expensive for the Navy, helped them conserve materials, and saved storage space. There are several different pins that are worn on garrison caps to show rank.

The White Service Hat

The white service hat is perhaps the most well-known and recognizable of the styles of Navy headwear. It’s a circular hat with a wide brim on all sides. It was originally made of canvas, but later replaced with cotton. The hat first appeared in the 1880s as a way to protect sailors from the sun in warm weather. The brim could be folded down to cover the ears.

The name “Dixie Cup” comes from the hat’s similarity to the small, white drinking cups that were first introduced in the early 1900s. The name has stuck ever since.

Another benefit of the white service hat is its versatility. It’s light, compact, and easily folded. Soldiers can also adjust it, perhaps wearing it with the brim folded down or the sides flared out, allowing them to express some individuality. Since 2016, female sailors have been issued the hat with their uniform to eliminate the differences with the men’s uniform.

The Baseball Hat

The baseball hat, or U.S. Navy cap, is often a blue hat with a logo on the front of the ship the sailor serves on. The hats first gained popularity with Navy pilots in World War II and the trend grew throughout the 1950s. They were first allowed to be purchased by soldiers and be a part of the uniform in the 1970s, but they could only be worn in the ship or squadron’s immediate area. The hats were finally embraced in the 1990s when they were officially issued by the Navy.

There are no rules against civilians wearing Navy baseball hats, provided the hat does not have a rank insignia on it as people might think the wearer served in the military. Wearing a hat with the insignia of a specific ship could be seen as disrespectful to those who did serve and lost their lives.

A Tradition of Honor and Respect

These are just some of the hats that have been worn throughout the history of the U.S. Navy. As the uniforms have evolved, so have the hats. Wars, political and social changes, and style have all played a factor in changes in Naval headwear and there certainly will be more to come.