The Top 10 Reasons To Stay In Auburn During The Summer

The possibilities are endless!

46
Scott Fillmer Photography

If I'm completely honest, as an Auburn student, I have always tried to avoid staying in Auburn during the summer because it used to frighten me--the thought of being enrolled at Auburn without the "comforting crowd" of the 27,000 other students. I feared that I would be basically be going to school in a deserted town and that I would get bored and lonely really quickly. As a rising senior, I was used to filling my summers with taking classes from colleges at home to get transfer credits or going abroad to experience new things, but when this summer rolled around, I figured it would be worth it to actually stick around for the months of summer, taking classes and working in between. The following reasons are why Auburn University students should reconsider hunkering down on the Plains for the summer:

1. First and foremost, you get to experience Auburn in its most peaceful season.

It's just you and the place you love for the summer, and somewhere along the way you learn to appreciate the alone time you have with the Plains. So shower the place you live for the summer with love (although it doesn't have to be as enthusiastic as this guy).

2. With not many people in Auburn for the summer, you get first dibs on study spots.

No more lines at your favorite coffee shops, and you don't have to wait in line at your go-to restaurants (#Chipotle #TacoMommas). There's almost nothing better.

3. Don't fret. You will have some friends that will be living in Auburn for the slower season as well.

A lot more people stay for the summer than you would think! Find those people. Make plans. And fill up your summer with adventures and memories. It's such a great time to goof off but in a responsible way of course!

4. If you're interested in someone, it's a great time to date.

Because there's not as much pressure from school, and the pace that Auburn sets for new and old relationships is laid back and enjoyable. There just seems to be more time and space to enjoy one another's company.

5. There's more time to go on road trips with friends.

You get to discover the places around Auburn that you probably never knew existed and do stupid things with your friends at the same time!!!

6. It seems as though it's easier to find a job.

Because there's more time and less competition without the normal 27,000 other students here. So plan early and settle into the many job offers you'll receive for babysitting, dog sitting, and maybe some even more official opportunities!

7. It's the perfect time to actually start that workout plan you've been putting off the last two semesters.

Because you've been "so busy" (trust me I know). There's something about summer workout plans that motivate me like no other, ESPECIALLY WITH OUR AMAZING REC CENTER (that I won't fail to mention will have fewer people to watch me struggle working out in the summer).

8. It's the perfect opportunity to find lakes, swimming pools, or even fountains nearby to enjoy with your pals.

Um yes it's freakishly and disgustingly hot here in the summer. You'll have a new appreciation for the cool water when it's over a hundred degrees outside!

9. The season may be a little slower than you're used to.

But if you do have more free time then this gives you a chance to spend some time with yourself and rediscover hobbies that you haven't done in a while!! Just don't be like this guy ;)

10. Although you may miss your friends that are gone for the summer, you know there will be nothing sweeter than seeing them in the fall because you miss them when your entire group can't be together.

Enjoy the one-on-one time you get with your friends that are in Auburn for the summer, soak up all the summer you can get when you have it, and appreciate the time you have with your friend groups when you're all together during the normal school year!