The Third Parties: Our Only Hope?
Politics

The Third Parties: Our Only Hope?

Who is there besides Trump and Clinton in this election?

10
The Third Parties:  Our Only Hope?
Anxiety Space

The choices for this upcoming election are decided. Either Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump. Which do you choose? If you are like many other Americans, you are probably wishing there was an "anyone else" option on the ballot this November. There are other choices, however, and even though the likelihood of any of these candidates being elected is nearly non-existent, these are other names you could cast a vote come November.

Gary Johnson - Libertarian Party

Why he has a chance: Out of every third-party choice on this list, Gary Johnson may have the best chance at taking votes away from Trump and Clinton. Johnson's social views are similar, if not more progressive, than Clinton's. This can be a major attraction to those voters who are looking for a liberal candidate, but are turned off by Clinton's sketchy past. He is also economically liberal in that he believes in taking economic regulation away from the government. In Johnson's views, Corporations would be better off with little regulation and it would be better, not only for them, but also for the average citizen. These beliefs can draw some of the moderate republican crowd away from Trump.

Why he has no chance: While he can appeal to certain voters, some of his stances can deter many voters. His stance on environmental issues is more in line with the republican standpoint, and for individuals who have a strong desire for environmental issues, Gary Johnson fails to garner their approval. Also his biggest weakness when it comes to attracting voters from the right is that he supports Gay marriage, marijuana legalization, and abortion. Those stances make him a no for many socially conservative voters.

Jill Stein - Green Party

Why She has a chance: Ms. Stein may be the ideal candidate for those Sanders supporters who vomit at the thought of a Clinton presidency. Jill Stein is an environmental advocate who takes strong stances on environmental conservation. She is also much more inclined to seek out peaceful resolutions towards conflicts than either Trump or Clinton.

Why she has no chance: Many of her stances may come off as too "hippie" for many voters. Since many of her beliefs are far more left than the traditional democrat, her chances of pulling votes from those individuals are slim. If you find a conservative voter who is interested in voting for Ms. Stein, then you have probably found someone who is not familiar with what conservative means in American politics.

Darrell Castle - Constitutional Party

Why he has a chance: If you like Trump's anti-immigration stances, but wish Trump was more Christian, then Castle is the guy you are looking for. In fact, not only will he seal the borders, but he will pull us out of the UN and NATO as well.

Why he has no chance: There are people who are too conservative for even the most American-flag-waving tea-partiers, and Castle might be the embodiment of such.

Zoltan Istvan - Transhumanist Party

Why he has a chance: If you woke up this morning wishing you had some bionic eyes and you like the idea of living forever, Mr. Istvan may be the candidate for you.

Why he has no chance: Unfortunately you need more than cool science stuff to win the presidency.

Clifton Roberts - Humane Party

Why he has a chance: Clifton has many left-wing stances that are environmentally friendly. Many of those who do not feel the Democrats or the Greens go far enough with their stances mat be interested in Clifton for president.

Why he has no chance: Mr. Roberts would like to outlaw the slaughter and consumption of animals. Take a look at the consumption of meat in the United States each day and you will find your answer to why he has no chance at making the White House his home.

Harrison Ford

Okay he is not running, but have you seen Air Force One?!?! I would take Captain Solo as president any day!

Conclusion

To end on a serious note, this election is interesting because of the disconnect between a large portion of Americans and the candidates our two-party system has named the choices. Although there is almost no chance at winning for any of these candidates or any candidate that may run as an independent (say Bernie Sanders or Mitt Romney), it is likely that some of these options will take some of the votes away from Trump and Hillary.