The Telltale Stages Of A Netflix Addiction

Binge-watching is a disease.
11

There are certain stages you go through when binge-watching a series on Netflix. It is a sickness. I can promise you that from experience (insert my "Gossip Girl" addiction). I usually watched one episode a day at minimum and then some days I would sit there and watch four in a row (whoops). I mean, sometimes you can’t help yourself. You’re in so deep and you just have to know what happens next. I mean, they show you a preview of what is about to happen next. It starts on its own so if it goes to the next episode, it’s not your fault, right?

Whether you’re binge-watching "Gossip Girl," "Gilmore Girls," "Army Wives," "House of Cards," "Orange is the New Black," or any other binge-worthy series, there are certain characteristic signs that you have a problem.

I promise you it’s okay. We’ve all had this issue and it’s okay. I mean, it’s not okay if you’re in bed for days on end, forget to eat, don’t take a shower, or have red, bulging eyes because you haven’t slept all night. There are certainly some stages that occur in this unhealthy obsession process. It’s all good -- we’ve all been there.

1. "I’m going to watch one episode tonight after work." Three hours later and episodes deep, you freak out when it says “play next episode." Are they kidding? Of course play the next episode. You really think I can even wait the 15 seconds?

2. "Okay, so I haven’t answered any texts or left my bed in a few hours, but it’s raining, so that’s okay. Wait, never mind -- it’s beautiful and sunny out. I could be exercising or taking my dog for a walk. Ugh, never mind. I’m two episodes away from the season four finale. I need to see what sort of cliffhanger will occur. That way I can stop watching for today."

3. "Yeah, right. I can’t stop. Can anyone actually willingly stop watching their favorite series? Go ahead, try to take away my laptop. You’ll have to pry it out of my gripped paws."

4. "You think I will stop watching 'Gossip Girl' and clap when Chuck and Blair are finally together just because we are going on a road trip (not long enough to a bring a laptop)? Absolutely not. That’s what cell phones are for. After all, they are supposed to be like mini computers. So, Netflix it is."

5. You are so deep in episodes you are starting to talk about the characters like they are real people. "Can you believe what happened to him?"

6. You realize it’s 4 a.m. and you need to get up in two hours for class. Hmm, does that really matter? Let’s weigh out the pros and cons. Get some shut eye so you can concentrate in class, or finish this season? Um, season please!

7. You realize that you are at the end of the series and you have no idea what you are going to do with your life. Oh wait, just go under browse and find something else to binge-watch, of course.

This is all probably true at some point in time, but do be responsible and make sure you are getting your homework done, actually going to class and working. Netflix will always be there.