10 Lessons I Learned From The People I Loved Abroad

The "study" in study abroad that happens outside of the classroom

15
Alex Wasalinko

This time one year ago, I received an acceptance letter for a semester abroad at the University of Edinburgh in Scotland. I left the comfort and safety of my hometown and home university for the unknown. Over the course of four and a half months, I met some of the most amazing people who taught me falling in love does not have a timeline. I learned so much about life and experience from my new family of friends, and I hope to pass on these extremely valuable studies from my time in my temporary home.

1. Always carry a journal and good pen with you.

You never know when inspiration will strike.

2. Do not underestimate the fun in a night in.

Sometimes the best nights are the ones where you and your neighbor split a bottle of Tesco brand wine, binge watch It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and swap the club clothes for sweatpants.

3. Say yes to taking the (extra) circuitous route home.

You may think you're lost but it'll help you learn your neighborhood and appreciate your new home even more.

4. You never need to suffer through all day (and night) exam studying alone.

And when you do finish all of your papers, projects, and exams, celebratory ping pong, sing-a-longs, and dinner will be waiting.

5. Always put in some good research for your hostel when booking your trips.

Never blindly settle for the cheapest option (I'm looking at you Euro Hostel Glasgow).

6. The walks home are just as fun as the night out.

These moments turn out to be some of the most memorable. At the end of the day, it's all about the journey.

7. Never ever underestimate the bonding power of food.

Whether it's cheeky Nando's with the lads or the weekly Tuesday night free mac and cheese at the pub quiz, nothing will break the ice with your new friends quite like food.

8. Don't wait until the last weeks of class to start talking to some of your classmates.

You might be missing out on time that can be spent exploring the city with a new best friend.

9. Don't be afraid to be vulnerable.

Opening up with others is terrifying at first, but there's something beautiful and wonderful about being authentic with others.

10. Remember the simple moments.

Take in the ordinary: the throwback sing-a-longs while closing up the student lounge, the literal rolling-on-the-ground fits of laughter in the park, sharing stories about home over lunch, the evening walks through the city. Looking back, you'll realize these moments with your new friends as some of the best and will miss them everyday.