To The Student Bikers On Campus

To The Student Bikers On Campus

We need to have a talk.

43
Unsplash

Every year I try to have patience with you guys, and every year I lose it by the end of the first week back.

I get it. We go to a big school.

Our campus stretches for a total of 7,958 acres of land. As a fourth year student, I'm quite aware of how long it takes to get from South Halls to Keller, especially when your classes are only fifteen minutes apart. But please.

Please stop trying to run me over every time I walk across Pollock road.

There is absolutely no need to fly across campus, going at faster speeds than most of the CATA buses. I can't go one day without a close collision with you guys.

I see the looks of aggravation that you cast at unsuspecting pedestrians. I watch as you peddle away, shaking your heads in frustration without even offering "sorry" after you almost hit them.

Just to let you in on a little secret, when there are headphones in my ears, that means that I can't hear the hiss of your bike wheels creeping up behind me. So, please don't be surprised when I don't jump out of your way because I didn't expect to be nearly flattened to death on the pedestrian's sidewalk.

I smile at the first sign of a chill in the air because you know what that means? That means that biking season's coming to an end, and I won't have to worry about the chance of a fatal collision on the way to class anymore.
I sincerely apologize for my aggressive tone, but after four years of this, it's a miracle that I'm still standing.

So if you're a student biker on campus, all I'm asking is for you to be more considerate of your fellow classmates. I don't mind sharing the sidewalk, but please just remember to obey the rules of the road.

I'll stay out of your way just as long as you stay out of mine.