The Struggle Of Online Dating

The Struggle Of Online Dating

We are a generation born into technology, but is it going to take over our love lives?

38
The Struggle Of Online Dating

We live in a generation that puts a lot of faith and trust into the technology we hold in our hands. From smart phones to tablets, watches to laptops, we rely on these types of devices to control our entire life. We can program our credit/debit cards to our phones to make payments easier, attach our banking accounts to make payments faster, keep in touch with friends and family across all social media in all parts of the world, take thousands of pictures, and have the choice to download hundreds of thousands of different apps to make our lives even more easier.

One app that has been flooding to young adults in college and post college is Tinder. If you have not heard of Tinder, I wouldn't be lying if I said that I was shocked. Tinder has gotten a lot of hype for being the "hook up" app, while some young adults actually find their soulmates. The set up is pretty simple, as the user will make a profile of themselves including pictures and a biography. You can set your gender preference, as well as your distance preference to find people near you! Once everything is set up, you begin the match process by viewing other profiles and swiping right on the people you want to meet/date/hook up with. If the other person swipes right on you, you have been matched and can start a chat with that person.

This dating app has resulted in many one night stands, poor decisions, and, for some, marriage. Each user can use this app for any form of relationship, whether it be the one night stand, or if you just want to meet people in your area. This app is great for college students because it connects them with people at the school or people at surrounding schools. But with any online dating situation, people may not be who them seem to be. This results in the horror stories of Tinder, and can end very badly for many people.

So why is Tinder and similar apps such as Bumble, so popular? It is a stress free, confidence building way to find people in your area. Instead of going outside your house and trying to meet someone at a bar or local hotspot, you can sit on your couch and judge people freely with no possibility of getting rejected openly. Essentially, you can hide behind a screen and say whatever needs to be said to get a match with someone you feel is comparable which is a difficult spot to be in. Or can you let out all your true emotions to someone only to realize that their intentions are completely different from yours?\

So is it worth it? To some degree these apps make it easier for those who are looking for just a hook up to find someone. It also is an easier transition for those who have trouble with the public dating scene and want to test the waters first before actually meeting the person they have been speaking to. This scenario can go in many different directions, from being totally cat fished to finding the love of your life. There are many love successes from Tinder and other apps, but are the risks so much different from going out and finding someone to connect with. The world is yours and there are plenty fish in the sea, so how you find your true love is up to you. Will you swipe left and continue dating the old fashion away, or swipe right with the new generation. The choice is up to you.