The Struggle Commuter Students Face

The Struggle Commuter Students Face

Apparently, decent parking is too much to ask.

32
The Struggle Commuter Students Face
James McCarrick

As a commuter student, I can say, without a doubt, that it is overtly frustrating finding a parking space at my college campus.

What frustrates me more is the fact that, for a full time student such as myself, the parking decal costs $195, and we are not guaranteed a spot. I have discussed this a few times and have heard responses like "Why don't you get there early then?" or "The campus has plenty of parking lots for students." Let me begin by explaining the layout of the parking lots on my campus.

The map may be a bit confusing, but let me try to clear this up. The black squares and what not are structures and buildings, like student housing and academic buildings where classes are held. The areas that are colored tan, light blue, and ocean blue are the different parking lots located around campus. For us commuters, we only get four lots, including a parking garage, located on the outskirts of the campus. Considering that most classes take place in the buildings located on, or around, Park Avenue, the most sensible place to park would be at the Spring Street parking lot (indicated on the map by an 'I' in a triangle).

To get from the Spring Street lot from the farthest side of the parking lot to the Rondileau Campus Center by foot takes an average time of 15 minutes (self timed). You can imagine how much longer it takes to get to that building from any of the other commuter lots. Rather, I should say that people would rather take the chance and park illegally and get a ticket by campus police rather than be forced to walk 5 miles to get to their classes.

In response to the first statement that people have said to me, as mentioned above, I wake up at 5:45 A.M. to get ready for class, I leave my house around 6:30 A.M., and I get to campus at 7:10 A.M. and already, by that time, a good portion of the Spring Street lot is full, naturally because no one wants to walk from Narnia to get to class and then back. Not to mention, even with the parking garage and three other lots, students cannot find parking spaces (with the exception to those that park down near the football field).

We are each paying $195 for a sticker; we deserve the right to be able to park somewhat close to our classes.

I would also like to point out the possibly dangerous consequences to these distant lots. The claim that parking in the parking garage is better during the winter is folklore. Sure, snow won't have to be plowed to reveal the ever elusive parking spaces, but the walkways around the campus is what concerns me the most. I've noticed within the 5 years I have attended this college that Bridgewater State fails to adequately clear, or even salt, the walkways and parking lots, leaving much of the snow and ice and ultimately causing a hazardous and dangerous terrain for most commuters and residents. Not only that, some winter temperatures can reach lows that are considered to be a health hazard to those outside. By making us travel in these conditions and walk in this weather, you are endangering us.

Sure, I sound a bit over the top, but I am waiting for that one day that a student, with the same composure I have, to slip and fall and injure themselves on a poorly salted walkway, or parking lot, because they were forced to walk through the tundra to get to classes.

To be honest, Bridgewater State University needs to try to find a way of cramming in another commuter parking lot; one that is not located in the outer skirts. We, the commuters, make up more than half of the student population, yet we are treated like we do not matter. So, Bridgewater State, instead of funneling our money into useless projects (i.e. the Welcome Center), why don't you try to give us what we really need and want? That, or you can just give us our parking decals at a cheaper rate because $195 is unjustifiable for a crumby little sticker. Here is to hoping our new school Presdient will actually listen to us.