The Stages Of Preseason

The Stages Of Preseason

Blood, sweat, tears, and sore muscles.

11
The Stages Of Preseason
University of New England

What words do you use to describe preseason? Anticipated, exciting, tiring... It's a mix of everything. It can be fun, it can be hard work, and it can be stressful. People who don't play a sport probably don't understand why athletes put eight hours a day into their sport for a few weeks at the beginning of the season. To us, all the blood, sweat, and tears we put in the first few weeks is worth it to go into our games ready to kick butt. If you are an athlete starting preseason, or if you've been through preseason before, you understand what it's like.

1. The excitement leading up to seeing your teammates again

You haven't seen each other all summer, so you will have a lot to catch up on.

2. Reuniting with your teammates, coaches, and trainers

The fun part! Seeing everyone and giving the ten-second run down of how you've been.

3. Meeting the new freshmen

The part where you wonder how these people will play and how they're going to fit into your team.

4. Fitness testing

Let's face it. You always dread it but it's never as bad as you anticipate.

5. The first session

You get to see how the new people play, and how hard all your teammates have been working during the offseason.

6. Getting through the first day of three-a-days

At the end of the day, it doesn't seem that bad.

7. Second day soreness

You wake up in the morning, and yes, three-a-days really are that bad.

8. The foam rollers

It may be a painful ten minutes, but you'll feel so much better afterwards.

9. The ice bath

Your muscles will thank you on day three, no matter how torturous it seems.

10. Third day soreness

The third day is the worst. It's all uphill from here.

11. Team bonding

During your off time, you spend time playing games and getting to know each other better.

12. Cuts

It's sad, but inevitable. Some people just have to go. You will keep your friendships with the people who got cut, though.

13. More team bonding

Now that people are gone, it's time to establish a new team dynamic.

14. More soreness

Day three may be the worst, but you will still be sore for the rest of preseason.

15. More ice baths

Ice baths (and foam rollers) will be your best friends for the first few weeks.

16. First game

Time to see all the hard work you and your teammates have put in. It'll pay off, and you'll be on your way to having an awesome season.