To The Sport That I Love, Thank You

To The Sport That I Love, Thank You

194
To The Sport That I Love, Thank You
CNN

No matter how many times anyone says to me that volleyball is just a game, I will always try to prove them wrong. No matter how many times I have been mad at any given time, volleyball was my outlet to release stress or frustration. No matter how many times I have been told that I’m only good, but will never make it, I proved them wrong. Because even with all of the support in the world from family, friends, coaches, and teammates, if I didn’t believe in myself, I never would have gotten as far as I did in my volleyball career.

And in a blink of an eye…

It’s gone.

I didn’t expect for it to be like this. In a perfect world, I would have played all four years, but things happen. All of the years of hard work and dedication to the sport, have become a distant memory. I’ll be the first to admit that I miss playing volleyball. If you play a sport for ten years, there’s definitely some separation anxiety. I would always, actually I still do, set any sports ball, whether or not it is a volleyball or not. At the same time, it did get pretty tiring as well. Every time I wanted to go to an event or be with friends, volleyball was always in the hand. The phrase, “I can’t, I have volleyball”, had grown into a typical phrase that I would use on a daily basis. Little did I know, that last year would be the last time I would use that phrase.

This year, I have started to branch out and pursue more interests, that don’t involve volleyball. For example, I am a photographer for my school’s newspaper, following my creative interests. I have also joined academic clubs that involve my double major. The most important thing that I have learned is that I am more than an athlete. I have more substance, than just a label that is given to me. This year, without volleyball, I have been able to become a regular student and pursue my interests.

Volleyball is one of the best sports I could have ever played, and I’m so glad that I had the opportunity to reach my personal goal in the sport. Volleyball is my sport, always will be. It will always have a place in my heart.