The Meaning Of Christmas

The Meaning Of Christmas

A day to rejoice and pop the bubbly.
8

Merry Christmas! If you're reading this, chances are you're in a food coma from the amount of holiday food you've consumed or need a break from all the family gathering. Whatever the case may be, look no further, it's our time to discuss the true meaning of Christmas.

The holidays seemed to happen so quickly. One second I was studying for finals and the next I'm getting ready for the clock to strike midnight to open gifts on Christmas! I believe most of us are guilty of thinking of Christmas as just a time to get presents and food. It seems over time, each generation has slowly lost the understanding of what this day is truly about. Christmas Eve for my family involves heading to multiple Christmas parties and eventually ending up at my Uncles before midnight. Here, we toast to good health, beautiful family, and endless alcohol.

Christmas is truly the time to celebrate the life we have been given because of Jesus Christ. It's a day for us to believe in a power much bigger than ourselves. As the apostle Paul wrote "He is the image of the invisible God, the first born of all creation. For all things have been created by him and for him." The eternal Father had given us His son as a gift. This meaning that Jesus is our eternal God in the flesh. He is both divine and man. He became a man of flesh so he could die on the cross for us.

Regardless of if you are of Christian faith or not, today is the gift of life. Christmas day is the day in which we should celebrate the people that have come into our lives and the families we have developed. It is the time to come together and be grateful for all the good that has come our way. Today is the day of faith.

As I sit here, full from a Christmas breakfast and looking over the gifts I received, I realize this isn't all I should be thankful for. I have my health and my family's health to be grateful for. We celebrate not only for ourselves today, but also for the people that can no longer celebrate with us. We must all celebrate and thank those in which couldn't make it home to see their loved ones. While some must keep working today and fighting for our country, we must honor them and all they have done for us.

I'm not much for having Christmas spirit. In fact, my family often calls me the Grinch of the family; however, today I feel blessed. I have a God watching over my family, endless love and support, and a place to call home. Today, I will cherish the time I have, as I hope you all will do the same. Merry Grinchmas to all, and to all a good night.