(12-23) The Warmth of The Holiday Season

The time of love, family, friends, and really good cookies.

1622

Dear Friends,

I hope all is well! It's that time of year where the holidays are right around the corner. Literally though, I think when this is up it'll be a few days before Christmas, and Hanukkah already has begun I believe. Truly I just want to write this article to spread some holiday cheer to everyone. The holidays can be a great time of year, but they also can be very stressful for some people. Whether it be with work, school, or family/friends, some people can't wait for the holiday season to be over. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Not everyone is going to like the holidays, and it's understandable. Sometimes the stress of the holidays can really bring people down. Today I just want to share some words and what not, so without any further ado, let's go.

I have always been a huge Christmas fan. I love decorating, eating cookies, watching Christmas movies, singing Christmas songs, playing in the snow, and all that jazz. It really just brings me a lot of sentimental feelings each year. It makes me feel closer to friends and family, and I just feel at ease. Sure, work can be a hassle, and nobody wants to work ON a holiday, but it happens. I worked Christmas Eve last year, and honestly I was not looking forward to it. I was, and still am an activities coordinator at a nursing home, so I do fun activities with the residents that live there. Last year on Christmas Eve, it really just brought me joy to be with the residents and sing songs with them all morning. It just felt right. I'm working on Christmas Eve again this year, and this time I'm not dreading it as much. Don't get me wrong, being able to sleep in is a great thing to do, but if I have to work on Christmas Eve, I'm glad it involves me bring joy to others.

I usually visit family on Christmas Eve night, and a few days after Christmas. With extended family and all that, some of the Christmas gatherings can be pretty big. Sometimes family can be a lot for some people. For me, it just depends how I feel. Some gatherings I can be extroverted, and other gatherings I just kind of eat food and do the casual "Yeah school was great this semester" kind of thing. Regardless, I'm grateful for the time that I get to spend with my family. Family is very important whether it be the holiday season or not. If you have a big family, you should enjoy time with them. If you have a small family, you should enjoy time with them. The holidays is about the love and warmth that we spread to one another. It's about being grateful for who and what we have in our lives. It's about being there for others who need you. It's about forgiveness and friendship. Never take what you have in your life for granted.

Overall, I just want to say that it's important to enjoy yourself during this time of year. Go make some cookies, or sleep by the fireplace. Go caroling with friends around the neighborhood, or watch a Christmas movie with that special someone. Go out in the snow and eat it (people still do that right?). Go and end the year with a bang. End the year with your family and friends and loved ones. There's so much more to the holidays than the "stress" that comes with it. Treat others with kindness, and treat yourself! Taking care of yourself is just as important as being there for others.

This whole article was a bunch of things. I apologize for the rambling. Besides that, I want to wish you all a great rest of the year. Enjoy yourself over the next two weeks and make memories for the end of the decade. Be safe, and happy holidays everyone!

Your Friend,

Al