The Seasons: Told By A Connecticut Resident

The always unpredictable Nutmeg State.

1486
The  Seasons: Told By A Connecticut Resident
fluentu.com

Here in Connecticut, you get the most out of every season. A boiling hot summer, a cold, snowy winter, a beautiful fall, and a lovely spring. Despite this, the weather is always uncertain. Depending on how you look at it, Connecticut is either the best place to experience the four seasons, or the worst.

Winter:

Ah, winter, the most unpredictable season of all. In Connecticut, this blustery season can start anywhere between November and February, or sometimes even with a blizzard at the end of October. Any particular day it can be 50 degrees and not a cloud in the sky, and then the next there is four feet of snow outside your window. Some years you’ll have a week off of school due to a nor’easter, and the following year you won’t even have a single delayed opening. The snowfall is always pretty on the first day, but then the sides of the road become disgusting brown piles of ice by the next. Whether there is snow or not, you can guarantee that there will be many days spent inside due to the frigid single-digit temperatures outside. The Netflix rates in the state are probably at an all-time high because there isn't much else to do. Connecticut residents will refuse to wear a coat until mid-January, and no matter what temperature it is, they will always have a Dunkin' Donuts iced coffee in their shivering, chapped hands.

Spring:

Spring in Connecticut is a beautiful time. The once sad-looking, bare trees begin to bloom gorgeous flowers, and the ground on which once stood a mound of snow, starts to sprout lovely daffodils. Spring is an odd time in Connecticut because you never know what to wear. Some days you need a parka, gloves and a scarf, while other days you can be in shorts and a T-shirt, and there isn’t much in between. It also seems as though everyone is trying to rush spring. The first day when there is fairly nice weather, everyone believes spring has sprung, although it may only be February.

Summer:

Summer, summer, summer! The season everyone has been waiting all year for. School is out, and it’s finally time to kick back and relax on the beach with your friends. When you think of the beach, you probably imagine somewhere tropical with palm trees, white sand, and crystal clear water. Well, here in Connecticut, you get to enjoy the lovely view of Long Island Sound where the sand is full of shells, rocks, and various garbage, you can’t see your legs when standing in two feet of water, and there are absolutely zero waves. No matter how hot the temperatures get, I vow never to go swimming in that water. If you are looking for a little nicer place to spend your summer days, Connecticut residents will usually venture out to Misquamicut State Beach in Rhode Island, located just outside of the Sound, and significantly close enough to home.

Fall.

Finally, the best season of all. Fall in Connecticut is the most breathtaking experience. This is the time to go on hikes up Sleeping Giant, and go apple picking at Silverman’s Farm. The temperature usually stays fairly warm until the end of October, making all of the outdoor activities even more enjoyable. I don’t care what anyone says, a peaceful Sunday morning drive across the state to see its beautiful foliage is what makes living in Connecticut all worth it.