The Risks Of Not Embracing Non-Discriminatory Bathroom Policies

Who's really getting hurt by these policies or their alternatives?

13
The Moderate Voice

Going to the bathroom.

It’s a simple human process that we each participate in multiple times a day. Yet, over the past few months this topic has been the origin of much discussion, passionate stances and some questionable comments. If you’ve been on Facebook since last March, chances are you’ve seen at least one impassioned post, article or tweet about whether transgender people should be permitted to use the restroom based on their gender identity or biological gender at birth.

Although transgender people have been subject to much discussion for much of 2015 and 2016, the topic has gained even more attention over the past few months, following the introduction of a North Carolina bill denying transgender individuals the right to use the bathrooms of their choice, despite backlash from the federal government. The issue gained additional momentum after Target announced that they would allow "transgender team members and guests to use the restroom or fitting room facility that corresponds with their gender identity," much to the outrage of individuals afraid that these bills would enable predators to target the women and children inside the ladies room.

This hesitance is understandable, albeit unfounded. Fear of rape or sexual assault are entirely understandable. Findings from the national Sexual Violence Resource Center found that one in five women, and one in 71 men, had been raped at some point in their lives.

However, transgender people are more likely than any other group to be the victims of sexual assault, with an overwhelming 64 percent of all transgender people experiencing sexual assault in their lifetime. Nevertheless, this statistic remains one sided. Conservative site the Daily Wire was only able to find five instances of individuals taking advantage of nondiscrimination policies to victimize women and children over the past three years, in two different countries. Although this statistic remains five people higher than it should be, it is worth considering that the statistical probability of falling victim to such an endeavor is slim to none.

As eight out of 10 sexual assaults are committed by someone the victim knows, the statistical probability of a woman or child being assaulted by a stranger under the pretense of being transgender is extremely unlikely. There have been a few instances of men posing as a transgender person in order to prey on women and young children. Although these tragic situations do occur, they happen relatively rarely, particularly in comparisons to the victimization of trans people. The West Virginia Coalition Against Domestic Violence, explored areas where nondiscrimination laws already protected transgender people’s right to use the bathroom according to their chosen gender. This research explored more than 200 municipalities and 18 states finding that, "None of those jurisdictions have seen a rise in sexual violence or other public safety issues due to nondiscrimination laws.”

Yet, according to research from the Williams Institute, “roughly 70 percent of trans people have reported being denied entrance, assaulted or harassed while trying to use a restroom.” A far cry from the instances of attack in women’s restrooms. Although these instances are never acceptable, transgender people face a far more viable fear, every time they have to use the restroom.

Speaking as a white, straight, cisgendered individual, I benefit from a number of privileges many minorities are frequently denied. However, earlier this year I experienced just one instance of the injustices most transgender individuals experience regularly, it further demonstrated the necessity for increased practices defending transgender people’s right to complete a basic human need.

I want to preface myself by reiterating that I am a straight cis girl. I will never understand the hardships, prejudice or rejection transgender people face daily. I by no means intend for my experiences to speak for all people, nevertheless, they solidified my views that things need to change.

It was a typical night out. Some friends of mine opted to check out a country bar close to campus. I’ve never been much of a country fan myself, but my friends were vehement about checking out this bar so I chose to join them, accompanying them for the ride.

As someone who grew up in a city, I’ve never identified with the “country scene.” I don’t enjoy twang in my music, I’ll take a two-seater over a pickup truck any day, and I’m a pescetarian, so I rarely eat barbecue, I actively despise cowboy hats and I’ve never understood what all the fuss is about tractors (seriously if anyone could explain it to me, that would be great!). Nevertheless, I came in with an open mind, ready to see where the night would take us.

As it turns out, the evening took an even more unexpected turn, towards prejudice and harassment.

After spending a half hour hanging out with my friends, I opted to take a detour to the ladies’ room. Striding up to the line I noticed that it sprawled through the bar. I hesitantly took my place in line waiting a full 15 minutes, until I glimpsed up at the men’s bathroom sitting unperturbed and unoccupied tempting me to exit the long line to the ladies’ room. Eventually I yielded, ready to return to my friends, after all, who would care if I used the empty single stall men’s bathroom? The short answer: entirely too many people.

Immediately after abandoning the ladies’ line, I was greeted by a 30-something, balding blonde man with tattoos and protruding muscles. “What are you doing here?” He asked with an alarming amount of concern.

“Trying to use the bathroom. The ladies’ line is WAY too long,” I laughed back in an attempt to lighten the mood. “This isn’t your bathroom,” he replied. “You’re free to use it as soon as I’m finished, right now I really need to use the bathroom, I’ve been waiting in line for 15 minutes already and I was only halfway through. Plus, at this point I’ve already lost my place by jumping ship to the men’s bathroom. I promise, it will be fast!”

He looked at me apprehensively. At this point a younger man joined him, donning a white tank top and predictably country apparel. “Is everything OK here?” the second man asked. “I’m just going to the bathroom. The sooner I go, the sooner I’ll be out of everyone’s hair,” I said. “We can’t let you do that,” the younger man responded.

Where were the genteel Southern boys I’d been told about? All I experienced were intolerant douchebags who were weirdly possessive of “their” bathroom. I rolled my eyes, sighed and attempted to enter the bathroom anyway, eager to move on from this confrontation. The men pushed through the door before I had a chance to do so, elbowing me out of the bathroom. The other stepped in front of me in line. At this point I became infuriated. “Look guys,” I began, my aggravation growing by the minute, “I don’t know what you think you’re doing but I really need to use the bathroom. Have a little respect and human decency.” The younger man in front of me turned, “Why the Hell do you think you deserve special treatment?” I stared at him, baffled. After a minute, I replied, “I’m not asking for special treatment. All I’m asking for is the ability to use the bathroom and to get back to my friends.”

At this moment, another man walked up behind me, I grew increasingly uneasy, unsure of what to expect. “She’s fine!” He nodded to the man in front of me. The man shook his head, aggravated. Around that time the balding man left the bathroom and the men’s right’s activist in his white wife-beater took his place. I thanked the man behind me for defending me. He replied that he was astonished that people like that still existed, a sentiment I immediately returned. Finally, the younger man left the line, and I was able to use the bathroom in peace and return to my friends.

This situation never would have occurred in a Target.

My experiences cannot speak for those of trans individuals, but my encounter in the bathrooms at the country bar can serve to verify the need for new policies protecting transgender people’s right to use the bathroom of their choice.

If I, a cis woman am greeted with this level of animosity and rudeness for attempting to use an unoccupied bathroom, I can only guess the level of violence and uncertainty trans people are exposed to regularly. My experiences further clarified the need for support and additional legislation respecting the needs of transgender individuals.

Although some individuals may protest Target for their trans-friendly policies, out of fear for the safety of their children, these individuals have neglected the trans children of the world. While new legalization would not sufficiently eradicate the bigots like those I encountered at the bar, the presence of such laws could offer additional solace and protection for trans people, while offering the spark needed to ignite effective change, bringing about a world where all people can be greeted with tolerance and the right to use the restroom in peace.