Why Knowing About #TheRedZone Is Important

Together we can raise awareness and help defeat #TheRedZone to make our college campuses a safer environment for young women.

23

When you think of starting freshman year of college what do you usually think of? For me, I think about decorating the room. That exact perfect way to string the lights, the picture collages to go on the wall. All the new notebooks and organizing them by class. The nervousness of how college works and how you will adapt to this new life. We make such a big deal out of these things when truly our college freshman have a lot more to be worried about than if they'll like their professor, or if they'll get into the sorority that they want.

The first six weeks of college for incoming freshman are known as the "red zone". This is a time in which these women have the highest chance of being sexually assaulted during their college career. They are at high risk for both stranger rape and acquaintance rape.

Stranger rape is when a woman is sexually assaulted by someone they do not know. In a college setting, this would most likely happen at a party, or in a social setting. Most women coming into college do not have any other strong female friendships yet, so they don't have anyone looking out for them which is probably why they fall victim to this crime.

Acquaintance rape happens when a woman is sexually assaulted by someone she is familiar with. Acquaintance rape often is downplayed because it doesn't sound as tramatic as stranger rape, which is completely incorrect. This type of rape or sexual assault is still just as much of a crime as stranger rape, and acquaintance rape is actually the most common. Acquaintance rape covers a multitude of people like peers and even significant others.

So now that we know the dangers and exactly what they are, we must raise the question how do we prevent our new college students from being sexually abused? The truth is unless we can get the violators to stop violating then we can't. However, we can educate our girls on what to do to prevent this situation from happening.

1. Be careful in situations where drugs or alcohol are present.

Alcohol and drugs lower your inhibitions and can make you less aware of the situation going on around you. Personally, my recommendation would be not to partake. However, if you choose to try to make sure you have a sober buddy looking out for you and staying with you at all times you are in the environment where alcohol/drugs are present.

2. Make a scene

If you feel threatened or afraid, staying quiet is not the thing to do. Even if you have to embarrass yourself in the process, get out of the situation in any way possible. Being embarrassed for a week or so is nothing compared to living with the lifelong effects of being sexually assaulted.

3. Be verbal

If you do in fact get into a sexual situation with someone, be verbal about what is okay and what is not okay. Make sure you ask your partner what is okay and what is not and vice versa. If you no longer feel comfortable in a situation you are able to withdraw consent at any given time, you do not owe your partner anything and you should not feel pressured to do something you do not want to do.

4. Intervene

If you witness a situation where you think someone may be in trouble or getting into a bad situation. Don't be afraid to approach the situation (if safe) and try to stop the situation then and there. If you do not feel comfortable yourself, then find someone else who can help this situation. What you report could have a lasting impact on the potential victim's life, remember that when you're contemplating what you should do.

Rape and sexual assault are the most prevalent crimes on college campuses today. While we cannot stop them completely, we should work to educate men and women on what we can do to prevent these crimes. By educating and holding one another accountable we can help to reduce the amount of sex crimes on college campuses. Together let's help defeat #TheRedZone and make our college campuses a safer place.