The Real Reason to Go Greek

The Real Reason to Go Greek

They Say It Takes a Village

9
The Real Reason to Go Greek

At the start of the school year many people are bombarded with the phrase “Go Greek”. These two words are thrown around at tailgates, while walking across the Diag, and on just about every sorority woman’s Instagram captain. Many freshmen are captivated by the promised friendships, once in a lifetime opportunities, and new lettered wardrobe.

Everyone that is a member of Greek life can think back to what made him or her decide to rush. It could have been an older siblings positive experience, the yearning for a smaller niche on a large campus, or the simple reason of trying something new.

But there is second defining moment in everyone’s Greek experience.

This is the moment that you knew the people surrounding you at every chapter, social event, and late night cram session were going to be your friends for life.

I am an adaptable person. I would describe myself as easy-going and most people who know me say that you’ll never see me without a smile on my face. I transitioned into college well and had no problem falling into place with schoolwork. I ended my first year of college with a pretty good GPA, a group of new friends, and a ton of great memories.

It is the beginning of my sophomore year and I would say that things were picking up right where they left off. Classes had started, I was spending all of my free time with my friends, and I had already ordered feta bread twice this year.

But, it was about a week ago when my mom called me and said that my grandma wasn’t doing well and that following Tuesday my grandma passed away from cancer.

What now? I’m away from home, I have class in 45 minutes, and one of the most influential people in my life is gone forever. For once I didn’t know what to do, I didn’t know what to say, and I didn’t know if I was going to be okay. I felt as though a piece of me was gone forever.

That is when I received a text from one of my best friends, one of my sisters. She was just checking in on me that day and seeing how I was doing. The timing could not have been better. I texted her back letting her know what had happened and instantly she responded. She was offering to skip her own class, come be with me that moment, and make sure that I was okay. It was her kind words that gave me the strength to get up, go to class, and get done what I had to get done.

The days seem to drag on until I was able to go home. The arrangements weren’t until Friday and I wasn’t in a position that I could miss an entire week of classes. But, the thing that kept me going was the overwhelming support from my sisters. I had only told three people about what had happened. But somehow everyone knew and everyone wanted to be there for me. I received countless texts, phone calls, and Facebook messages. The following monday when I returned to Ann Arbor I received a text from another sister wanting to know when I was free that day because the chapter had purchased me flowers to brighten my day. This act of kindness brought tears to my eyes as I sat in the school of public heaths lounge area. I could not believe the overwhelming support and love that I was receiving. It was this support that showed me the true meaning of sisterhood and the reason that everyone is so proud to wear their letters.

Not everyone will share in the same experience as me, and I hope that no one has to endure the pain of losing a loved one while they are away at school. I wanted to share my personal experience because I want to convey a side of Greek life that isn’t seen on television. The media likes to exploit the negative, they want a story that will make headlines and turn heads. It is fair to often that the positive side of Greek Life is lost and forgotten within a pile of not so great headlines. The meaning of Greek life can be skewed and I fear that the public may have forgotten what it truly means to be a member of this lifelong community.

But- this is what it means to Go Greek. This is what it means to be in a sorority. It is the breathtaking care and comfort that you receive on your worst days. It is the women who stand behind you to lift you up when you honestly didn’t know if you could ever stand again. It’s the sisters who can make you laugh when you don’t even want to smile. That is what it means to be a member of Greek Life.

They say that it takes a village, my sorority is my village, they are my family. They are everything I could have ever wanted and more. I can't imagine my life without them and I know that I will never have to.