The Process Of Finding Myself

The Process Of Finding Myself

Some thoughts on living a meaningful life.

1
The Process Of Finding Myself
Photo by Laib Khaled on Unsplash

Sometimes you gotta just take a step back and admit that life may not be going as you planned. There's nothing particularly wrong with the life I am experiencing currently, but also, I feel that there's something missing about the way I'm living.

All my life growing up, I've felt that I've been somewhat living life on autopilot: just going with the general flow of things, and doing the things that I do to the best of my ability. And yeah, that may seem like a pretty good template to follow in life, but I also don't feel completely satisfied with just living life. I ponder about what it might feel like to suddenly realize my calling in life, to suddenly hear the voice from the heavens that spells out my life's goal.

Now obviously, angels aren't flying around telling people their life's mission. Everyone who has found their life mission has done so by putting in the effort to look for it. Some people find their calling pretty early on in life, others might not realize it until their elder years. Some people frankly don't get a chance to realize their calling at all before it's all too late.

Dear reader, if you are still with me to this point, I want to let you know that I am not really offering any particularly eye-opening pieces of advice, at least, that's not my main purpose in writing this article. Frankly, I'm writing this article because the idea of living a more purposeful life has recently been on my mind, and I just simply want to get my thoughts out on paper. Perhaps there's a reader or two who might feel this way currently as well.

The process of finding oneself is exciting, but also, it's probably a slow and uncertain path. Why, I've been on the path for 19 years already, and I'm not sure exactly where I'm headed, and how long until I get there. But as long as I keep moving forward, then that's all I can ask myself for.

Because this weird path has no benchmarks, the only real way to gauge one's progress is to keep experimenting and exploring, and soon I think it will become clear what sort of life you want to live. In other words, the further down the path you go, the clearer the end destination becomes. Some people reach this destination very early, some very late, and some don't reach their destination at all. But all that matters is that we keep trying to explore, so that hopefully one day we'll find out what our calling is.

There's no better time to start working on this than right now. Set up a reminder to think about life for 10 minutes every night before bed. Meditate. Get your schedule and priorities straight. Do whatever needs to be done so that several years down the road you'll be glad you decided to make a change for the better.