The Problem With Progression

The Problem With Progression

Why Modern Day Social Justice is Doing it Wrong

14
The Problem With Progression
Observor

As we continue to move forward in this ever progressing society that is American culture, we become more self aware and creative in how we go about social change. Science is making incredible advancements each passing day as technology enables us to get closer to curing what was incurable before. Essentially, there is no where to go but up from this point forward. Or so it seems. The truth is, although we may be advancing scientifically, our attitude as a whole is suppressing proper, intelligent change when it comes to true social progression. Millennials do have a lot on their shoulders given certain economic pitfalls but we are also the most informed youth to date. With the rise of the internet especially, this generation should be taking advantage of the vast amount of information available. That being said, in the words of your friendly neighborhood Spiderman, “with great power comes great responsibility.” Now, it’s time for a reality check and reevaluation of attitude.

When it comes to societal progression, I have always supported positive change and fairness in society as well as respect to all citizens. Since no two decades are exactly alike, social change is not initially a negative thing. Usually, it is the result of a great need. After all, women’s suffrage and abolition of racial segregation could not have happened without a strong movement. But is there ever a time when certain aspects of social change and social justice are simply not needed or placed in the wrong, societal context? Humans are not perfect nor will they ever be perfect. Therefore, there will never be a time when social change and social justice are not needed. What I am trying to express is the fact that perhaps there are some issues that we have taken too far during this day and age.

Personally, I am not a die hard supporter of social justice warriors but there are definitely aspects of certain issues that I see as valid. For example, the Black Lives Matter movement became a response to alleged wrongful, violent acts some police officers were committing against African Americans. The Third Wave Feminism movement capitalizes on the need for women to be paid equally as well as not seen as sex objects despite dress or behavior. I see certain aspects of these issues as valid. However, I see this validity on a much smaller scale than social justice warriors. The core mistake that these two movements make is assuming that they should be allowed to do whatever they wish in the name of “social justice” and receive little to no backlash. Black Lives Matter supporters lose the argument when they see anarchy as “justice” and Feminists lose their footing when they walk around topless in public while criticizing anyone for staring or commenting. It is simply contradictory. In essence, the issue I have with modern social justice movements is that they create an enormous issue out of something that is progressively becoming less of an issue already. The point: progressive movements take a step back when they assume that nothing with the issue has changed in the last several years and demand that there should be no limitations placed on the “oppressed” group because of opression in the past.

The reason as to why I say that millennials need an attitude check is because of the self entitled, “I can do no wrong” attitude of certain social movements. Even free speech, our first amendment right is becoming less tolerated because of the rise of politically correct language and “trigger” words. If censorship and entitled attitudes are part of this progressive movement then I want none of it. Yes, there are some aspects of age old issues that are still apart of our society but this is not Nazi Germany or an age where women have not yet achieved the right to vote. Regardless, self entitlement and censorship are not the way to solve certain problems anyway. Instead, progressive social movements should go about change intelligently and tactfully. Not by way of the “me, me, me” and “you cannot speak to me that way because of x, y, and z.” It simply will not work.