'The Price Is Right' Will Help You Make Big Life Decisions

Drew, I'm gonna go with "I have no idea what I'm doing with my life"

8
Price is Right Winner

I don't believe in living life with no regrets.

And when I'm on my death bed, surrounded by all of me and Harry Styles' children and grandchildren, I won't be able to say I lived my life with no regrets, because I do have regrets. As much as I want to be the free-spirited hippie that lets whatever happen happen, I'm just not.

I regret eating that Big Mac meal the other day. I regret taking "just one more shot of tequila!" I regret thinking that running in six inch heels was a good idea. I regret not wearing my rubber bands when I had braces. I regret my decision to get full bangs in seventh grade. I regret the my style choices in seventh grade. Actually I regret the entire year of seventh grade.

I think a more applicable way of thought for me, is that I don't regret the major decisions in my life. Because if I did, I would think of nothing else. But I do wonder, what would have happened if I made a different decision, took a different path in life?

For example, I spent my entire high school career getting ready to play field hockey in college. But when the time came to commit, I decided I didn't want to. I decided not to be an athlete, leaving that chapter behind. But what if I didn't? What if I committed to that school and now was ending my fourth season on the varsity team? I wish there was a snippet of my life I could see if I did become a college athlete. Would I have been happy? Would I have been successful? Would my Odyssey articles get more shares?

I wonder if it would be like when a contestant on the Price is Right loses a huge prize. I know you all know what I'm talking about because we all watched it when we were at home sick from school. The contestant guesses wrong and behind the door was a new car! Pure defeat and regret fills the contestant's eyes as they try to look okay with the fact they lost a brand new Mercedes Benz. I think if I was a contestant and Drew tried to comfort me about losing, I would take that long stemmed microphone and hit him directly in the face with it.

It's just crazy (and a little unsettling) to think how much impact one decision can have. These forks in the road that decide where we're going to be, what we're going to do, and who we're going to be. Forks like: What college should I go to? Should we stay together? Do I take the job? Or the decision I'm currently dealing with, what on Earth do I want to do with my life once I graduate? I know I'm barreling towards, arguably, the most important fork in my life so far. And I'm absolutely not prepared. Can't I just see what's on the end of both roads and pick from there? There has to be some sort of road map for this, maybe Waze?

One day I'll look back on this dilemma, when I'm writing my memoir for the New York Times, and know that whatever I choose was the right decision. Living with no regrets put one in the mindset to make the most of every situation. So yes, I might not have been an athlete that wouldn't dry heave after running a mile, but there's really no use marinating over it. While I don't live my life with no regrets, I do believe everything happens for a reason. For example, taking that one more tequila shot that I mentioned earlier taught me a valuable lesson and turned me off of tequila for the rest of my life.

So Drew, I wouldn't like to see the car that I just gave up. I'd rather pretend it was a blender or a pair of socks or an all expense paid trip to Antartica. The decisions we make at these forks in the road might be terrifying, under-researched, and rushed but I'm confident it will work out. Besides I didn't really need a new car, my 1995 Toyota Corolla gets me from point A to point B pretty fine. How's that for an extended analogy about roads?