The Presidential Election: How Does This End?

There's two ways this can turn out. Which one works better?

8
The Malay Mail Online

So the final Presidential Debate took place on October 19, and just like the last two debates, Saturday Night Live parodied it and it was glorious. In fact, some said the parody was better than the actual debate, which was laughable in itself. How did we get here, to a point where people standing on podiums and talking about serious matters that could make one of them the most important person in the world come to a point where parodies are better representations of them? Also, how does this effect what's to come in the next two weeks?

Let's break it down. Some weeks ago, I talked about how when it comes to this election, what it boils down to is who seems to have the more sensible agenda to things here, and by that rationale, it was possible that Hillary Clinton edges past Donald Trump, and vice versa for others. However, some things have happened since then, like three presidential debates and a massive sexual assault scandal against Trump. However, just like the last article, we'll try to look at this from a rational perspective. So, here we go.

As mentioned once before, I am not an American citizen. I am an international student studying in New York, studying at a liberal arts college and my opinion on the present election is that of an outsider, looking at everything going on around him, so my analysis is I mention the previous article I wrote because ever since then, a lot has happened. Earlier this month, a microphone recording was leaked where Trump was talking to (now) former Today Show host Billy Bush about how achieving celebrity status lets you get away with anything, and that you can grab women by the genitals. Meanwhile, Wikileaks continues to release new emails from Hillary Clinton's private server that was in use before. At this point, neither candidate is really in the clear. They're both making huge mistakes. Hell, for Hillary, a past mistake is coming back to haunt her campaign. However, the severity of the mistakes is what it comes down to.

Let's start with Hillary. She used a private email server and she sent out tons of emails and 33,000 of them are yet to be released, a fact that Mr. Trump constantly brings up every chance he gets, as a way to show how she can be untrustworthy too. This is fair, as she has made a huge mistake here, and by doing such a thing, it risks the security of the United States if you end up sending classified information, which has been denied by the Clinton administration but the FBI director has said that there is information that could potentially be viewed as dangerous and could be considered as classified. By all accounts, a reason for disqualifying her as a candidate. The reason for that is because she did lie, which is definitely a reason behind why many have decided not to side with her.

Now let's talk about Trump. Well, there's a lot to cover here, so let's talk about the most recent thing involving him: the microphone audio leak. There's been many things like his comments over certain races, comments against women....the list goes on. However, one thing some people may say is that the recording is from 2005, and that times have changed, and that he is now a changed man. Here's the problem, though: he hasn't. Many things he still says are similar to what he said on that bus. And he hasn't exactly apologized for the comments he has made. On top of that, he does still have a scattershot way of approaching things and their doesn't seem to be clarity as of yet, and now, two weeks before the election, there still isn't any clarity, and his chances are dropping.

So what happened? They've both made extreme mistakes and there are definitely things wrong for the both of them. So why are Hillary's chances greater now? Well, it goes beyond sensibility and coherence. There's something much simpler: decency. Despite the fact that Hillary made a mistake, she has apologized several times and has made sure nothing of the sort will happen. She admitted to her mistakes. Now, I realize that this isn't a surefire way to solve problems, but Trump didn't apologize. It's funny how it's come down to simple decency you're taught in kindergarten: apologize if you make a mistake. How do the SNL parodies play into this? Well, they bring up the fact that it would change things, and unfortunately, because he hasn't apologized, this affects his campaign. Yes, Kate McKinnon is funny and Alec Baldwin does a rather spot-on Trump impersonation, but for what it's worth, they bring up certain points about the real-life situation.

At this point, I'm going to end the article, because there really isn't much left to be said. Scandals have happened, controversies created and debates held, and in those debates, things were said. During the third debate, I realized something: we were still going the same route. In the end, it's down to the people. Everything's done at this point. This isn't the article where we find out how this ends. We find out how this ends on November 8th. Till then, just like the end of the last article, I'm still rather lost.