The Power Of Gratitude

The Power of Gratitude

Learning to consciously be more grateful each day.

67
The Power of Gratitude
Serena Foote

We often lose track of how blessed we truly are to be living life. This notion came upon me at least three times this past week by different conversations and readings.

The simple truth is, the only necessities humans need are food, water, and shelter. It is hard to fathom that many human beings don't even have access to these basic necessities. That realization is what motivates me to help others and do good in the world. Everything besides these few basics are not even necessary for us to survive. We take so much for granted each day without even thinking about it. I am not implying that this makes us bad people, rather striving to be more insightful about our blessings.

I started reading a passage each day from a book gifted to me by someone I adore. From New York Times bestselling author, Maria Shriver, "I've Been Thinking…", she states, "So, every morning when I open my eyes, and before my feet touch the ground, I thank God for the gift of my life. I give thanks for my health, my family, my friends, and for the country, I'm blessed to live in. I've found that starting out that way makes for a better day and, in turn, I believe it makes for a better life."

This principle of life affected me tremendously due to realizing I lose track of gratefulness often. Being grateful will, in fact, lead to a better life and it can start with the smallest of things.

I am intending to practice gratefulness by writing down or simply minding what I am thankful for each day before I go to bed. I am hoping that this will help me reflect and obtain a more positive mindset. In time, I hope to be subconsciously grateful more often than not.

For instance, today, I am grateful to have heat due to the literal polar vortex occurring throughout the Midwest. I am grateful to have such an amazing support system of friends and family who love me regardless. I am grateful for access to clean water. Lastly (for this article) but not least, I am grateful for my four loving grandparents and my great grandmother still with me today.