Opinion: Finals week is not the worst week of the semester (with this hack)

Is finals week the worst week because you didn't prioritize studying?

12

We all dread it starting on the first day of the semester. Finals week. The week where we have easily 5 exams one after the other. However, it does not have to be a week to dread. In fact, it is easily not the worst week when you use the Pomodoro Technique.

The Pomodoro Technique is when work is broken down into intervals using a timer. You can create your own intervals, but the most common is 25 minutes. You work for 25 minutes straight without any distractions. Yes, put your phone away during this time. Then, once the timer rings, you get a 5 minute break. After the fourth round of 25 minutes of work, you get a longer break such as 15 minutes.

Sometimes it is hard to do this, so I definitely recommend easing your way into it starting with 10 to 15 minute work intervals until you can sustain yourself longer to 25 minutes or more. You also don't have to do this alone. There are many "study with me videos" on Youtube that follow this method like this one, and there are many apps you can download as well that will keep track of your intervals for you.

Hopefully, if you have never used this technique before, you will look into it and study more efficiently. I promise if you do, finals week will not be hell.