To The Person Who Just Got A Life Altering Medical Diagnosis

It feels as if you are stuck in the middle of a storm with no escape

32
f-covers.com

To the person whose life seems to be falling apart,

I'm sorry... I know the tears are flowing and now probably even harder than ever due to my apologizing for what your life has thrown at you. I'm only apologizing because I know what it feels like and I have been there. Your thoughts are currently moving a mile a minute and you're trying to convince yourself that everything will be okay as you ponder how you will be able to go on like this. Trust me, I know.

Everything that just came out of your doctor's mouth sounded like a foreign language. Confused is an understatement, but with time everything will become clearer; anything from what is going on in your body to what your treatment will consist of you will understand before you know it.

I'm not sure what diagnosis walked it's way into your life... it could be anything from depression, anxiety, cancer, chronic pain, heart problems, etc. I know it isn't easy and quite devastating from the start. It's as if somebody took your life and all the things you enjoy away from you and your still left here to go on; and I know you believe from here on everything is going downhill and your going to be miserable.

You picture all of your hopes, goals, and dreams and are thinking they are gone forever. You are thinking of all your hobbies and the things you love to do as you wonder how you will be able to continue doing them. You are wondering how your friends and family will take the news, how you will support yourself and a family, how you will continue going to school and work and so much more.

It feels as if you are stuck in the middle of a storm with no escape. All your problems are pouring down on you all at once and you must make the best out of the situation. With that being said, your mindset is key. There is nothing in this world that can control you if you truly don't want it to. Desires and passion can bring you a long way and I think that it is important that you hear and believe this now instead of later.

It's very easy and human to sit back and let your life fall off the beaten path. It's easy to sit back and not fight, but no fight is a worthless one. You are still capable of all you had in mind for life. You are able to do whatever you put your heart and mind towards, I promise you. No matter your situation you have to do what makes you happy everyday. This includes finding the right balance between what is good for your health, what you find enjoyable, and how to make the best out of the twenty four hours in everyday that you are given to live. With practice this will become second nature to you.

DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT throw all your hopes, goals, and dreams down the drain. You are capable of so much more than you can imagine, now more than ever. Everything life puts you through has a deeper meaning. Maybe right now you feel that there is no good reason for why this is happening and your probably asking yourself "Why me?" and "What did I do to deserve this" but you must dismiss those questions because the truth is that you will never know the answers. Maybe this diagnosis is going to lead you in the direction of your dreams and goals in life. Don't sit there thinking out every possible situation in your mind in hopes of figuring things out, instead let life take you in the direction it wants to.

I know this is all so new to you as well as shocking and unsettling but quote me when I tell you it gets easier and it's not as bad as it may currently seem. It's definitely a different way of life and one that will require adjustments but it's nothing that you can't handle. Smile through the pain, keep your head up, have a positive mindset, and most of all remember everything happens for a reason...that truly is the best advice I could give you.

Sincerely,

Someone who has been there

Stay Strong XoXo