To The One I Lost Too Soon

To The One I Lost Too Soon

You're always on my mind and forever in my heart.

22
To The One I Lost Too Soon
Flicker

Grandma,

I've been thinking about you a lot lately. A lot has changed in the past three years since your departure from this world. You would be so proud of the woman I have become, and I owe that all to you and Mom.

I never thanked you for all that you've done for Peter and I. You practically raised us when Mom and Dad worked those long hours. You taught us how to be patient, by not letting us get our happy meal toy until we finished our food. You taught us how to act like the young lady and gentleman we should be and be respectful. I am who I am because of you. And as I grow older, I start to see more of you when I look in the mirror.

You showed me what it means to be strong. A couple months after your passing, I was gifted your engagement ring for my 17 birthday. I wear it every day and get asked about it on a daily basis. I used to dread talking about it because it reminded me that you are no longer here.

Now, when someone asks about it, I'm excited to talk about it because it's not just an engagement ring that was given to you by your high school sweetheart, who you never had the chance to marry, but a symbol that show how strong you are because you had to live without someone you loved. Sounds a lot like my situation. At times I find myself holding your ring in my hand when I'm in a stressful situation or just feeling alone and I feel you holding my hand back.

March 25, 2014, also known as the day that my life changed forever. I remember Mom telling me that this would be your final day with us. Walking into your hospital room to find you hooked up to machines was not the way I wanted to remember you by. I try my best to remove that image from my mind, but it still haunts me to this day.

A couple hours later, we went into peace time and watched you take your last breath and at promptly at 12:00 p.m. I heard the words "welcome to paradise" come out of Peter's mouth, and I realised at that exact moment I just lost not only a grandmother but one of the most important women in my life.

It's hard to think that you will never be able to watch me graduate college, marry the love of my life, or hold your great-grandchild. I used to be so jealous that you got to watch Peter graduate high school, but he should be the one jealous of me because you walked with me across the stage in spirit as I accepted my diploma. I wish you were here when I had my first heartbreak so you could hold me like you used to whenever I was upset. I miss your hugs and the lullabies you sang to me every night.

If there was one thing you taught me in your time here on Earth it was this: Love everything and everyone. Cherish the moments because eventually, they will become just a memory.

I'm so thankful to have had you as my grandmother. I love you and miss you.

Love,

Forever and always, your Emily