‘The Perks Of Being A Wallflower’ By Stephen Chbosky Is One Of My Favorite YA Novels

It's heartfelt and realistic - everything a YA novel should be.

17

A wallflower offers a unique perspective by standing on the edge and looking in.

There comes a time when observing needs to be put on the side in order to be a part of something bigger. Like most YA books this story is about growing up through the turmoil of high school. The format of this novel is set in letters. Charlie, the main character of the novel, offers singular and unique letters that are incredibly intimate. These letters offer humor by looking through the eyes of someone who stands on the outside looking at the world around him, not having a clue as to how it all works. The readers don't know who the letters are for, but we know the world that he shares.

Charlie starts to live his life instead of watching the lives around him.

At the same time, he is running away from it. This puts him in a precarious situation by staying in place, yet running away simultaneously. First dates, mixed tapes, family dramas, and new friends, in other words, uncharted territory. This novel has it all. It has sex, drugs, the wonder of 'The Rocky Horror Picture Show' and finding the perfect song to make one feel infinite. This novel is a portal back to the days of growing up and the roller coaster that is high school.

"The Perks of Being a Wallflower" movie has a 85% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Starring Logan Lerman, Emma Watson, and Ezra Miller this film has a great cast. The author himself directed the film. I find it great when the author gets involved with the film or show adaptation of their book because it becomes a more truthful telling. This story is a good example of a good film adaptation.

Of course, there are differences, but I believe that it is worth the watch and definitely worth the read.