The People You Will Meet While Working Retail

They Will Make You Question Your Job Decision

35
Flickr

I've recently started working in retail. I knew it would be hard work I knew it would be challenging. What I didn't know was about… the customers. I would insert scary music here if this was a video so do me a favor and imagine creepy music. Good job.

But in all seriousness, retail customers are the worst. Not all of them of course. There are a few gems who appreciate the hard work it takes to serve people. There are a few people who say thank you and make the employee want to make sure their experience in the store is a productive one. Not all people who shop are terrible.

But then there are those few. Those people that make you question your job choice. Those people who if you met them in the outside world and had nothing to lose you would probably fight or at least yell at. Those people who you might even know by name because that's how traumatised you were by them. These people should not be allowed to buy anything. They are rude. They are annoying and I'm calling them out.

1. The “Rude For No Reason”

These people come into the store with an attitude. They are either frequent customers or just terrible. They can never smile, be polite, or even express gratitude. You probably know these people by name and have certain duties you perform to make sure that they have everything they want.

2. The “Let Me Speak To Your Manager”

This person is a variation of the above person. If you don't do everything they want how they want it, they will ask to speak to someone. They will call the CEO if they have to just to get you fired. They make you wish you had some other job.

3. The “Give It To Me For Free” or “Can I Get A Discount?”

These people mistake your store for a flea market or they think they are at grandma's house where if they say it in the cutest way possible they will get what they want. I can not negotiate a price I did not set! I cannot give you anything free unless it's already labeled as a sample. Do not take it upon yourself to assume anything on display is for you to eat. It's not.

4. "The Child That Needs to be disciplined."

You know the one. The kid that comes in and steals food while their parents aren't looking. The one that screams at the top of their lungs for no actual reason. The runner, who has mistaken the store for a playground. The explorer who goes behind the counter and has to see everything. The impatient kid who can't wait for their parent to pay so they take it themselves.

5. "The Parent that needs to discipline their child(ren)"

These are the people responsible for the above. So spanking is outdated. So physical discipline is frowned upon... My mom did not have to spank me. She just had this look. A look that said everything and evoked fears without a word. She was not my friend, though we have an excellent relationship. She was my parent and I understood to respect her and to behave when I was in public. It didn't take much. All she had to do was tell me what she expected and if it wasn't done, there were consequences. Parents today are too concerned with their kids being mad at them and kids are not concerned enough. This is the opposite of how it's supposed to be.

6. The “Let Me Tell You My Life story”

These people aren't rude. They're just kind of bothersome sometimes. I have no problem listening to customers but these customers don't always pick the best time to give me their autobiography. They pick times where I am busy. Times where I need to help someone who is actually going to buy something. Times where I am in the middle of completing a task and only stopped briefly to ask if they needed help and instead I'm standing in the middle of the store, broom in one hand and ladder in the other listening to this person talk about how they once went on tour with Bon Jovi and can only eat boiled chicken when it's raining and that Donald Trump is a robot sent to Earth to confuse us all.

7. The “Oh, nothing, I'm just looking”

These people again aren't rude but they are always… just… looking. They walk around the entire store. They ask questions about each item that is sold there and then… they leave. They have bought nothing. They have only wasted time. Maybe they get a kick out of it. Maybe it's the highlight of their day. But for the employee. It's the Bane of their existence