The Path To A Cure For My Very Rare Disease Is Long

The path to a cure for keratoconus has been a long tedious road.

9

The path to a cure for keratoconus has been a long tedious road. For those who have no idea what keratoconus is when your cornea is starting to shape into a cone, thus causing vision problems. It is a very rare disease that has not had the proper attention that it deserves. My path to waiting and maybe one day finding a cure had a recent breakthrough. When the FDA approved cross-linking, it became the start of something good.

I got a call from my primary eye doctor saying that the procedure of cross-linking had been approved finally. Cross-linking is using special eye drops and ultraviolet rays to repair and strengthen the fibers in the cornea. Now, this is not a cure but merely a way to slow down the progression of the disease.

I have had keratoconus for the past three years and believe me it has been a tough challenge. This disease affects my everyday life and knowing that there was no cure for this really was a heartbreaking feeling. Last two years I had been waiting for cross-linking to become an option. Finally, it has! This is truly the first big breakthrough for my path to maybe having this cured.

I do not see the world the way the average person does. Sometimes the things around me are very burly and have no real shape to them. I can sometimes see the world in double just because of how the disease has progressed over the years. I have contact lenses for now, but the point is that the world is seen very differently through my eyes. When these breakthroughs happen, it is a sign to never ever give up hope.

It is truly devastating knowing that nothing may ever come through medically. You read the article saying that nothing has been found to cure it yet. It can be a downer and I have been there a lot. People like me go through several tests every time we go to the eye doctor only to hear that there is not a whole lot they can do until some sort of medical advance can happen. But, you cannot give up.

The world can be a scary place and it is full of things that will make you want to give up. For anyone reading this that has keratoconus, never give up. Live your life just like everyone else does despite the disease that you have. Know that you are not alone in this battle, there are many people going through the same issues and hopeless feelings you have felt. I have been in some dark spots when I had the thought of nothing may ever happen, but someday I know it will.

A cure will come someday and to those again who have keratoconus, do not give up. Keep fighting, keep living life, keep your spirits up. Cross-linking is not a cure, but it is a solid step that can lead to one. Remain strong and go and see the world without any limits.