The Party

The Party

Jaded: Part 2
101

The Party

She opened the door

to a boy standing outside.

“Welcome to the partay!”

He gave a weak smile.

“Well, come in!” she said,

tugging at his hand.

She handed him

a red solo cup.

“My parents won’t be home

at all tonight so…”

She poured

a clear liquid

into the cup.

“Drink up.”

He grinned.

“Thanks.”

“No problem.”

She walked

through the crowd

yelling,

“Attention! Attention, please!”

The commotion stopped

and all eyes

turned to her.

“First of all,

I want to thank you

for coming.”

Her eyes wandered

through the crowd.

“Tonight

is a night of freedom.”

The crowd yipped.

and she laughed.

She saw the boy

standing

and watching.

The red solo cup

untouched in his hand.

“Who knows

where this night

will take us.”

She saw the boy

walk through the crowd

and hand a girl the cup.

“But it’s all

In the name

of fun.”

She saw

the girl

stumble

and the boy

guide her,

silently,

through the crowd.

“So… um

here’s to tonight.”

She raised a cup

and so did the crowd.

She put a cup

to her mouth

and they did too.

And as they drank

she watched the boy

guide the girl

up the steps.

Her steps.

Until

they disappeared.

She began to shake,

but she continued.

“Thank you, everybody.”

She dismissed the crowd

and the party commenced.

She looked up

from the bottom

of the steps

with a red cup

shaking in her hand.

“Hey, Regina!”

She turned

to see the girl’s boyfriend.

“Yes?” She gave

a toothless smile.

“Have you seen Jade?

I can’t find her anywhere.”

She shook

her head.

“No,

I haven’t seen her.”

I'm An Education Major Because I Know Firsthand That Teachers Can Make All The Difference In The World

"You're my teacher, but I need you to be so much more than that."

cpabel
cpabel
1991

This is my third semester student teaching in an elementary school classroom.

It has been an absolute honor and joy to work with elementary age students. They are so full of excitement, energy, curiosity, and ambition. It's such a breath of fresh air to be around these children and help them learn, grow, and develop into who they will eventually become one day. Going into this experience, I knew that I was going to be making a difference.... but I didn't know how much of an impact I would make on some of my students.

Growing up, I was very fortunate, loved, and cared for. I never had to wonder where my next meal was coming from or when I would see my parents again.

Unfortunately, this is not the reality that a lot of my students live in. They live in my nightmare.

There have been several times that I have arrived to my school to see a child crying, absent from school, or secluding themselves. My first semester student teaching, I didn't think much of this. It's not abnormal for children to cry over spilled milk or to seclude themselves from their friends because they've had a fight.

These inferences were far from the truth. These children are living a life that I could not even begin to understand.

At the beginning of this semester, I had a student say to me: "You're my teacher, but I need you to be so much more than that." When this student said this to me, I said yes of course and that I'll do everything to help her. Little did I know, there was so much I didn't understand in that one sentence. After a few weeks, I learned that this little girl was being raised by her elderly grandmother because her father had committed suicide and her mother was so high on drugs that she couldn't even take care of herself and was in and out of jail.

Wow. No child deserves to start their life off this way or live this way. What can I do? How can I help? How can I make a difference?

Being a teacher is so much more than just teaching students how to add/subtract, read, or complete a science project. You're teaching children to someday become young, knowledgable, and responsible adults. But how can we do this if they don't even have responsible adult figures in their life at home? It's so important to be more than just this child's teacher. If you gain their respect and trust, you can make all the difference in their life.

This student and I had created a bond. For some reason unknown to me, she gravitated towards me as soon as I stepped in the classroom. The first few weeks we made small talk, but in recent weeks, she has told me that she feels alone. She feels unloved. She feels responsible for her dad's death and her mom's pain.

Talk about having your heart ripped out of your chest.

I hid my tears. I didn't dare cry in front of her. I stayed strong. I want to be a rock in her life. I want to remain stable and help her through her pain. I want to make school an enjoyable and safe environment for her. I want to see her succeed. I want to see her make meaningful and great friends. I want to see her blossom and overcome the struggles that she has endured in her short ten years of life. Being a teacher is such a wonderful experience, but it definitely is trying and hard. When you see a child, treat them like the beautiful souls that they are. You may not have a single clue in this world what they're going through at home.

They may be stronger and more mature than you are as an adult. Be kind. Love one another. Make a difference.

cpabel
cpabel