The Painful Truths Of Being A Waitress

The Painful Truths Of Being A Waitress

Time to honor these strong and heroic human beings and all they put up with.

396
The Painful Truths Of Being A Waitress

I always wanted to try out waitressing as a part-time job sort of thing because you make great money, meet a lot of interesting people and gain a ton of experience in all different aspects. When I landed my waitress summer job three months ago, I was extremely nervous because I had watched too many movies about those server girls who would drop a bunch of food while working. Now that I know what it's like to be a waitress, I know that the whole "dropping food everywhere" thing is a little over-exaggerated, and it's other things about being a server that are 10-times more difficult. I'll share them with you...

1. It's really, really, really hard.

First things first, serving is really hard. Despite what most of my co-workers say, I still struggle with it and serving just might not be in my blood. (Which is, well, a good thing.) The people that I work with claim that serving is easy, but that's because they have been there longer. I tell people that the most tables I can handle is four, and then respond with, "What? I couldn't even do two at the same time. I give you props." So, thank you. Thank you for seeing the pain that I go through each shift. It seriously is hard.

2. Multi-tasking can get overwhelming.

This is how it goes down. It can start out slow and you think it's all fine and dandy, but then, without warning, you're suddenly hit with five tables at once, and it just keeps piling on and on. You can go from no tables, to getting paged for a table, paged for your food, someone wanting refills or a menu, a ketchup bottle, having to put someone's order in, to needing their bill -- all at once. You may think you can handle it, but try doing it first hand. One word in the restaurant world: prioritize. I still haven't gotten it down yet and I have been trying for three months.

3. You really have to prioritize.

Basically, what I mentioned above. I've had instances where I thought I was going to have a legit panic attack. You don't want to make customers angry, but when you think about it that way, it can send you into more of a downward spiral on the job. See this GIF? This girl is me.

4. You meet some really interesting people -- good and bad.

I've met some mean people. I've been the pickiest people. I've met rude people. I've met everyone under the sun. And then I cherish the tables who can sympathize with me and the tables who give me credit for being a server. I met one lady who claimed to be an empath and she was the sweetest. I live for those tables, honestly.

5. People don't realize how much crap we deal with at work.

Like, honestly! Try sweating your face off, running around a huge building with a giant ramp, while getting a ton of tables all at once and dealing with rude people.

6. You have to pretend to be nice.

Cringe. I have to stand there and grin and bare the nasty customers who glare at me so badly, I feel like their eyes are laser pointers. It's exhausting, and sometimes I just want to pour a glass of water over my head, teleport to the kitchen and stuff my face with pasta.

7. You have to be ready to endure the bad tips or the bad note cards.

Someone once wrote on mine, "I'm sorry. The server didn't come back for our refills. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry." What? Well, that one was just weird, but I have endured at least two negative note cards.

8. Sometimes you have to play the cute and bubbly one to redeem yourself.

Hey, this has worked for me. If I mess up, then I play the, "Oops, I'm so silly. Let me apologize." (Comes up with witty and charming story about why I did said accident.) Don't judge me. We got to do what we got to do, and it's been proven effective.

9. You have to grow a thick skin.

Not only can the customers be brutal, but so can your co-workers, your manager and the people in the kitchen. I've learned that people can get mean in the restaurant business and you just have to learn to grow a thicker skin and deal with it. It sucks and it's hard, especially for my sensitive self.

10. You might cry...

I know I almost have...

But at the end of every shift, you know that you survived and get to walk out the doors with some hard earned cash until they have to do it all over again. Please give it up for those wonderful souls we call servers and all that they do.